RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey does anyone out there know if its possible to take you stock rear turn signal and splice it into you rear tail light to make it an integrated system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why do you need the kit, you cant just run the power wire from turn signal to replace the power wire to the tail lamp since they are both running lights and always on.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
What if the brakes are on? There's only two filaments in there. You need the controller to tell the side the with the turn signal on to cut off the power for the brake lamp so the light will flash. Otherwise you are just going to muck up the system. You can always built a simple circuit for each side to do this for you if you don't want to spend $50.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
If you wire it like you are thinking you want to you will end up with feedback(proper wording?) that will cause every turn signal to flash and both sides of the Brake light. The integrator will prevent this.

But realize when you run those bulbs in this situation you will burn through bulbs pretty fast.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Found the link to building one, it was stuffed in the deep dark recesses of my moto bookmarks. Here: LINKY

I made a few back in the day. Best way is to use the circuit board and put it inside a small hobby box from RS. You can then seal the hobby box with epoxy/RTV and BAM. Less than $20 for the same thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the link hig. I was able to understand why those step must be taken. And that what I was looking for. Rather then some of the other 1/2 penny replies I received. thanks

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Found the link to building one, it was stuffed in the deep dark recesses of my moto bookmarks. Here: LINKY

I made a few back in the day. Best way is to use the circuit board and put it inside a small hobby box from RS. You can then seal the hobby box with epoxy/RTV and BAM. Less than $20 for the same thing.
Sometimes it is good to make things yourself, sometimes not.

Figure you have saved a whopping $30 (optimistic) making it yourself. Say it only takes you two hours of messing with it to get it working (again, optimistic). You have just paid yourself $15/hour. I don't know about you, but my time is worth much more than that. You also have some wires running from the tail light all the way up to the front turn signals. With a power commander, alarm, speedo healer, gear indicator, manual fan switch and heated grips, I don't need any more crazy wires going all over the place.

If you want to go cheap, buy the trailer light converter for $15-$20. It is the same damn thing.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
While everything you say is true, sometimes is the act of just building it yourself that counts the most. Little things like this are easy enough to tackle for the beginner yet if you screw it up it's relatively easy to fix and cheap to go ahead with a pre-built component with a lesson in your pocket.

Would I make another one nowadays? Probably not, and I would cite the same reasons you have;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts