RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here goes. As much as I'm embarrassed to admit it, I had a pretty decent get off today. I was with two other friends, and was not watching MY line close enough. I focused for a moment to long on the guy in front of me, and wasn't properly prepared to lean as much as the turn dictated. It tightened up; I fixated for just an instant, which was to long. So then I grabbed all of my front brake, and to much back brake, and went straight off the road. I went crashing through some rocks and manzanita bushes, and missed a giant tree by about 1 foot. Weird, but I was never scared, it was like a dirtbike crash that's happened to me hundreds of times. And I could feel my gear taking all the hits, but I got up and not even a bruise. Just had to dig my way out of the Manzinita I was buried in.

Thanks to 'Sticky Tires' BLouder, and our good buddy B.B. we got out of there, got my truck and went back up to get my bike.

The RC51 is out of commission right now, but she's totally fixable. Just plastics and a few items like the airbox, brake reservoir, clip on, mirror, etc.

Tomorrow I'll go out to my garage and start taking stuff apart.
Tonight I'm going to have another beer.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I have a set of stock clip ons....you are welcome to them.;) I'll try to find you some MotoGP boxers to replace the drawers you left a load in today.:D

Seems only your pride is hurt, so all is well.:cool:

And for fuck sake why are you embarassed?? Shit happens!

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
The only thing you should be embarrassed about is riding a bike when it's 106......

Glad you're OK, and I would tell you some of my fubars...but I'm REALLY embarrassed.;)

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Sorry to hear about the get off...been there done it more times than I care to remember or tell.

The most important thing is that you are OK, the bike can be fixed, your ego may be bruised but I'm glad your fine...

You will ride again soon.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Glad to hear your ok Bro, and sounds like you got a little luckier than I did, same thing kinda happened to me last month but I ended up with a smashed engine :eek:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Glad your ok Jondog............. It happens to us all I'm sure if we were all to share our most embarrassing moments we would all laugh. The bike is rebuild-able and your walking that is all that counts.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Glad your ok JD9, It sucks when you see it coming and all you can do is get off or ride it out, had a similar thing happen on my zx7r before I got rid of it. I never take my eye's off my line unless I am just at a crawl, all it takes is a 1/2 second and shits in the handbag.
Enjoy that beer man !!! Good luck to you and speedy recovery on the RC.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies everyone, this forum is full of some really cool people!
I can't stop thinking about the moment I lost it.
I've replayed every nano-second of it on my mind, and know the moment it all went wrong, and why. Even as it was happening, I knew what I had done wrong and what the inevitable outcome was going to be. No slow-mo, it all happened in 'real time'. I think I was going about 30 mph when I left the pavement. I stayed with the bike past the tree, then saw huge granite rocks on my left and bushes on my right. That's when me and the bike seperated putting me in the bushes and leaving #000100 resting on those rocks on her right side.

Glad to hear your ok Bro, and sounds like you got a little luckier than I did, same thing kinda happened to me last month but I ended up with a smashed engine :eek:
I know, I remember your pictures well. I knew that was a solid boulder that took out your engine as soon as I saw the pictures. I thought about you and your bike several times yesterday, since that was so recent. How's your rebuild going?

·
Registered
606 Posts
That's just how we roll !

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I am still recovering from mine about 2 months ago now, bruising in the ribs just gone last week, my left shoulder is still some what weakened, but hey, bike is almost back together now and I learned a few more things,LOL. Glad you got lucky JD9 !!! Could always be worse, that is what I t ell myself, even when you have the sick to your stomach feeling from looking at the damage and the money it takes to fix it all.

This is part of what we all do though..... :)

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
........I stayed with the bike past the tree, then saw huge granite rocks on my left and bushes on my right. That's when me and the bike seperated putting me in the bushes and leaving #000100 resting on those rocks on her right side........
:eek::eek::eek:......that's an 180 turn, dude!

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:eek::eek::eek:......that's an 180 turn, dude!
No; picture a right turn.
I didn't lean into the right line, then braked wrong, and went off the left side of the road. As I'm going down the embankment, I see the rocks on the left and the bushes on the right.
As me and the bike were seperating, it tipped to the right, putting me in the bushes, and it veered slightly away from me to the left, but still continuing to tip to the right until it stopped.
I basically did a header into the shrubs with my helmet, shoulders, elbows and chest taking all the impact. I was wearing my Dianese upper body armor, and it actually protected me better than a traditional leather jacket would have. The pads are thicker and more of them. And my Icon full leather pants got a couple granite nicks in them too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok, here goes. As much as I'm embarrassed to admit it, I had a pretty decent get off today. I was with two other friends, and was not watching MY line close enough. I focused for a moment to long on the guy in front of me, and wasn't properly prepared to lean as much as the turn dictated. It tightened up; I fixated for just an instant, which was to long. So then I grabbed all of my front brake, and to much back brake, and went straight off the road. I went crashing through some rocks and manzanita bushes, and missed a giant tree by about 1 foot. Weird, but I was never scared, it was like a dirtbike crash that's happened to me hundreds of times. And I could feel my gear taking all the hits, but I got up and not even a bruise. Just had to dig my way out of the Manzinita I was buried in.

Thanks to 'Sticky Tires' BLouder, and our good buddy B.B. we got out of there, got my truck and went back up to get my bike.

The RC51 is out of commission right now, but she's totally fixable. Just plastics and a few items like the airbox, brake reservoir, clip on, mirror, etc.

Tomorrow I'll go out to my garage and start taking stuff apart.
Tonight I'm going to have another beer.
Sorry to hear it brother... BUT as repeatedly stated... You live to ride again!
In the end, it is proven that proper riding gear is the best money spent in ANY case! Glad you were wearing yours...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts