RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, if i could borrow a minute of your time?

Winter's here, and while i could ride nearly year long, the lady needs some attention.

Opening the air box, i noticed a bit of oil in the box. Not much but splatter that actually reached the lid, ALL OF THE pics for continuity.

After a bit of a search, please correct me if im wrong. ive read that in most cases, the "grime" it leaves behind is expected. That grime is noticeable in other areas....but im concerned if what you see here is more than expected? I should add also that im convinced my local honda dealer over filled my oil.....nevAr again!!

Lid splat -

Removing the air box, i was greeted with a ring of oil around the edge of the throttle body, my intuition tells me these things may be related?

Lastly, under the throttle bodys, there is a very thick grime, Could/are these things related? And what should my course of action be?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Is your oil inspection window completely filled to the top (check when engine has cooled off) or have you drained the oil to confirm it was overfilled at the dealership?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Window was filled to the top, a bit of an oversight on my part leaving the dealer. Expectations and all that....would thay sway any of this as an issue either way?

Sent from the back of a T-Rex using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Periodically, you must check and drain the residue in the crankcase breather catch tank.
I check this every oil change while I have the left side cowl off.
It's the hose with a plug and clamp around it. I drain the residue into the same catch pan as the waste oil.

Ordinarily, oil vapor or mist is vented to the airbox, and there will always be some slight coating of oil residue inside the airbox. It was designed to do this.
If the hose has never, ever been drained, conceivably the hose could be filled, and backing up into the catch tank (which vents into the air box, carrying) allowing liquid oil rather than oil vapor or mist to be sent into the airbox.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the reply Sub, will drain the breather and a bit of oil entirely...

but the build up of gunk underneath them makes my skin squirm and id like to remove the TB and clean up a bit. Service manual is pretty straight forward, but im wondering if there are any "tricks" or something to look out for mainly with the throttle cables...

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Window was filled to the top, a bit of an oversight on my part leaving the dealer. Expectations and all that....would thay sway any of this as an issue either way?

Sent from the back of a T-Rex using Motorcycle.com Free App
Was that at the upper level before or after the oil check procedure?
Ordinarily you crank your engine and let it run for a short period of time, then switch off and allow to sit of a couple of minutes, then check the level.

If your oil level was at (or beyond) the top level mark, then it may be the windage from your crankshaft is whipping excessive oil up past the crankcase vent hose up into the oil collection bottle and into your airbox.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, it was above both hot and cold, will drain and fill up proper, the breather hose is empty...should be fine?¿

Sent from my house of cards using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts