RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, ive been fighting the urge to do this..but ya know. anywho, i figure id start this to A. get sage advice on things before i buy/install and B. just get misc info on little things like wire routing (the service manual sucks for this). but its an 01' #101 i believe. my intent is to have it street legal but track oriented. going for a function over form, so nice high end fancy parts like sato/woodcraft rearsets arent necessary (do want brembo front MC though).

right now my first goal is to get it running. so front end, plastics or anything that isnt conducive to actually getting the thing running is taking a back seat unless i find a good deal on it. it will be slow going at first, but next month i will have more pennies. so far ive got a start/kill switch, rear MC with braided line and caliper and hopefully subframe and right rad next week. as far as electrics it looks like most if not all came with it and unmolested too! i have most of the harness connected now, but it looks like a dam spider web

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Yeah... you need alot of stuff.
Contact our good member 1971allchaos with a list of needed parts. Tell him I pointed you his way.
Great guy... will do what he can for you at fair prices.
Good luck with the build. And keep us updated.:cool:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
There is a lot of fun to be had though. Get the subframe on and take some "riding pictures". You can title it as "how to lighten the RC51". :)

As it sits, its probably not much lighter than my old GSXR1000. lol.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I'm overstating it, but not by as much as I wish. My Gixxer 1k was about 60 lbs lighter than the RC51.

As for riding pics, you could compete with this.

And yes, for a track build, pro bolt is very evil. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha, hes got handle bars, still beats me. my most recent bike was a 07' GSXR 600. much lighting then the superhawk i had before it. i imagine this thing will be a pig compared to my k7. but im going to try to keep it as light as possible (everyones goal)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ok, so put the throttle bodies on and noticed there was an open port and then noticed i had 2 lonely vacuum lines. one came from the vacuum tank? and then the other came from the sensor down stream of the vacuum tank. suspect port is the bottom one

the light grey hose, what is this sensor anyway?

and then the light grey hose here aswell

EDIT: so according to ronayers, the first hose goes to the vacuum diaphram which i believe operates the ram air flapper? dont need that. then the one from the tank looks as though it just vents to atmosphere?

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Wow, that's a major project! I've been doing a similar project with my buddy Carlos (Our bike started out a bit more complete though).
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11617&highlight=night

With the help of some of the core members here who had parts we're pretty much complete as far as sourcing used bits after around a month of searching in the US, UK, Japan and elsewhere. Once all the parts are with us, we'll be laying them on the ground, taking pictures and showing our progress, so perhaps some of what we do will be useful for you to see, although bear in mind SP1 & SP2 wiring is a bit different in places.

I'd recommend using a website such as www.ronayers.com to see schematics and create an Excel spreadsheet to price up what parts are likely to cost new, record part numbers and make notes on the various sources you'll find (Weblinks, etc). In our case as we have my complete SP2 to compare with, we found this helped a lot in identifying parts we needed.

If you'd want to make the whole thing from used parts from all over - you should be ready to budget around $3,500 or above - spread over time. That's what it cost us roughly so far in parts and many were supplied for cheap, or free from members here. In our case it's worth it, as the bike's worth close to $10,000 in Japan.

A lot of patience will definitely be required too.
So consider budget and what you're prepared to put in over a long time. If you can find a crashed SP1 for sale as a complete bike, do your best to buy it as this may help you a lot. With a complete SP1 beside, you'll be able to see routing of wiring, get many small components, etc. Then perhaps you'll be able to make a good bike from the two & sell the parts you don't need afterwards to offset the costs.

Keep us updated - we all love seeing a successful project take shape. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks man. I am definitely watching the Carlos thing. Ya, its quite the project but that's half the fun. I have a subframe on the way and that will definitely help me sort some wires. Luckily it all seems to be there as far as electrics go. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Goodluck to you too

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
No worries. Glad to help. The question you're asking about the sensor is answerable by looking on schematics. As you're missing the snorkel you will probably be missing the MAP Sensor too, if not the front wiring loom - check the schematics, they'll help a lot... ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no i actually have the MAP sensor. im pretty sure im 99% there as far as harness electrics. CDI, ECU, even the kick stand switch. still need the gauge, ignition switch, blinker assy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts