RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT - The answer can be found at http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=84769&postcount=12

On another thread here I briefly mentioned about the best pass most everyone has ever seen in the modern racing era.

I wonder if anyone here knows what I'm talking about. Post what you think it is. No need to cheat. I'll post the answer in a day or so. Faster if this gets lots of replies.

The title of this thread is a quote straight from an article discussing this racing pass. So I'm not alone in rating it the best.

I saw this live actually. Crazy. And I can't believe it, but I remembered the name of the rider and the track it took place at too.

Sadly, I can't find a video showing "the pass".

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THE ANSWER

Lots of great posts here.

My post was for the following pass. It has been characterized these ways.

There is only one 'the pass' in modern Superbike racing - Road Atlanta 1998.
The Pass of the Century
Anyways, it was Miguel Duhamel passing Anthony Gobert in the last lap into the last corner at Road Atlanta in 1998. Miguel was riding an RC45. I saw it live and it was incredible. I can't find any pictures or videos of it on the internet, maybe others will have more luck.

I remember Miguel's bike sliding sideways but on the power and laying a darkie forever, all while beginning to turn and doing a pass. It was incredible. :)

What made it even more impressive was that this pass, made going into the last corner of road atlanta, was done in a very diabolical area. The area is a downhill plunge segment going into the last corner. It's a corner that tests how big your cohones are. Just to run a dedicated aggressive turn line is impressive because it is a bit of a blind enterance, and then there is not much room for error when committed. To pass someone while sliding the bike sideways, laying a darkie because one is driving the power still, all while also going downhill towards an unforgiving corner apex. Wow. :eek::D It was crazy to see a bike doing that. Add to the fact that the corner itself has a concrete retaining wall. :eek: Any mistake leading to off track and you may not live to tell anyone about it. A very potentially dangerous track. Here's a pic of the corner.

Frankly, MotoGP tracks are much safer and so it is not as big a gamble (life and limb wise), imo, to make a go-for-it pass. To do a pass as described at Road Atlanta, which is not very safe at all, adds to the legend of it.

Anyways, this bit of history is why it is considered by many to be "the pass".

I have some links that describe "the pass".
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/atlanta98.htm
This is from the part of the article under Race one: the pass of the century

DuHamel, with second place in the bag, gambled it all. He put a master-racer move on Gobert. As they came down the hill for the final time, DuHamel laid on the power and made an impossible-for-mortals inside pass on Gobert and the Ducati. The Honda's chassis was coiled like a King Cobra as it reacted to DuHamel's sliding, turning and accelerating all at the same time, down the hill to the right hand corner which leads to the finish. DuHamel left a dark black mark with his rear tire nearly all the way down the hill and he deftly put the RC45 inside the Ducati's line and went for the win.

Gobert saw it coming and laid on the gas at the bottom of the hill, but the Ducati's suspension reacted badly and he lost traction, ending his fight for the win right there. DuHamel crossed the finish for his 21st AMA Superbike win.

Bostrom wasn't finished, however, and he was trying for a wide-line, last-gasp pass of both DuHamel and Gobert (on the outside) at the finish line. He was a tick too late and at the finish, awed by the pass he just saw his teammate make on Gobert, he rode off the track, got caught in the red Georgia clay and was tossed from the machine at over 100mph, crashing spectacularly. He was largely unhurt.

The fact that DuHamel's pass was not only one of the most dramatic in the series history but also probably questionable from a judgement standpoint (as there is a huge retaining wall just off the track surface) was not lost on most. DuHamel said of the pass: "It's one of those moves where you have to know you can do it before you attempt it. If you try it thinking that you might not make it, bad things might happen."

Finishing order at the line was DuHamel, Gobert, Bostrom, Oliver, Chandler, Mladin, Hacking, Kipp, Yates and Stevens.

The entire paddock was in awe of DuHamel and his last corner move, the place buzzing until 11:00 p.m. with personal recollections of the move by everyone from mechanics to janitors. "Damnedest thing I've ever seen," said one veteran photographer. "The only thing that could beat it would be that Honda flying over Wes Cooley's head at Willow Springs in 1983."

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2004/Nov/041125a.htm
It is titled "A Face In The Crowd: I Saw The Pass"

A great set of memories here.

·
Registered
575 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts