RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those that have been down, and those that will. Well after more than 8 years riding on the street my time came up, It happened on wensday afternoon, still not sure what the hell happened but long story short the rear locked up and i ran out of room. I was lucky to walk away with a few scratches and a lump on my thigh but feel fine other the sick feeling i get every time i look at the bike.

She took some heavy damage, and have mixed feelings on what to do, fix it, part it, thing is I have so much into this thing. do i really want to dump more into it or if i part it out maybe recoup a fifth of whats in it..... and then the crash, fist time going down and walked away maybe next time i may not get so lucky? I dont know?

Any advice would be great, and help or part donations would be appreciated thank you.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
So sorry rvtjonny. That really sucks BIG! I know the feeling all too well.

The thing is, these SP's are getting more and more rare and they really are quite unique. I would take the time and a least comb the Internet for the pars needed and make a calculation as to what needs to be fixed. If it's within reason, time and budget, fix it.

Even if you do it over an extended period of time to prevent a sudden hit to the pocket, do most the work yourself and find the right parts, a time will come when you will ride again, and maybe even enjoy and appreciate it more.

I have had 2 pretty a bad falls. 47 stitches and some serious loss of skin was the worst. I learned dearly from each of them and do find myself being more cautious.

There is a freedom that comes with biking and a joy that comes with a v-twin SP. You may not see it now, but it will be a worth while experience.

Hang in there, I hope you start feeling better soon.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
SO sorry to hear RVTjonny....
Holy hell, I have not seen that kinda engine damage to an RC before...
I have had my rc down 2 times and been in 5 crashes, I must be doing something right cause I am still here.
You tend to walk away ( if you walk away ) from each crash with a lesson learned.
RC's are getting very rare, I am still recovering from my latest off, I did lowside on a local twisty.....some dude came around corner in big dodge ram truck, came over the yellow at me as he oversteered the corner, I Slid about 80 ft straight into a boulder with my left shoulder...3 weeks ago....still can not raise my arm fully. The bike....well shit happens and the wife say 3 times was too much let alone 5 times down...but hey what can I say to her and everyone else.....I AM AN ADDICT .....LOL
Take care get better and fix her up, she is worth it dude !!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wow, I can't believe the damage to the engine, that's a big hit man. FWIW, I've got an extra RC engine, something to consider...

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Glad you are doing okay it seems....except for the RC:(

Part it out and start over....there is a 2006 for sale in another thread.;)

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Wow, that sucks man. You're here, and that is the important part.

Personally, I would just write it off to insurance. Knowing that you just bought it, and the fact that you won't be able to sell it for much the way it sits, and a part out wont get you much more than what you would have to pay to get it back from the insurance company, a write off is probably best.

Get as much back from the insurance company, and get another bike. Parting a bike and looking at the thing everyday will just make it worse and you'll be stuck with half a bike for a while. Just rip the band-aid off quickly, don't drag it out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow. I've never seen a engine like that before. If it wasnt for that engine, I would try and fix it up. But the block looks wrecked. Glad you are ok though.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Sorry to hear about your off but glad you are OK ! By the looks of the pics, you would have thought the engine exploded - wow.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Oh man, that really sucks. Sorry to hear the bad news. That's a wicked hit, glad you came out walking.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Sorry to hear of your fall. For sure, it happens to us all at least once. Glad you're OK.

I don't know if it's possible to make an insurance claim and buy the bike back in the US.
If so, then that's what I would probably do.
The engine can be swapped in a day (Easiest method) and the other kept (or sold or parted for spares), the rest doesn't look so bad, really. There's satisfaction in fixing up a machine... and you'll understand more about it in doing so.

·
Registered
575 Posts
you are here to ride again , that's most important , glad your OK

·
Registered
20 Posts
So sorry, I totaled my first bike I ever owned. I bought it back from the insurance company and then replaced all the parts that needed replaced. I then got back on that thing and rode it. For me that was what I had to do, get back on that horse. Glad to hear you are ok, bikes are easy to replace, riders are not.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, I was lucky.. I started taking it apart yesterday. Im gonna have a guy that worked on crashed bikes most of his life at a dealership,
so once i get his input I may swap out the motor and throw some cheep plastics on it a run it...well see

Parts needed so far..

front fender - have
head lights -have
upper faring
right faring
air duct
snorkel
vacuum tank
right rotor
oil pan
transmission case
engine block/ lower crank case

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
So please do post up on how you managed to put a huge hole in the motor...a sign? a guard rail??

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
fizzzuk......paints a horrid picture:(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts