RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just stay with me here. I got my RC into my sunroom yesterday to get it torn down for some maintenance and what not. I was staring out my dining room window looking at it directly from behind. I started noticing that our swing arm isn't symmetrical. I also noticed that the left exhaust sits closer to the swing arm. Really close. Like so close I noticed the electrical tape covering the hole in the swing arm. So I pull the tape off and its a good size hole. So large I will be replacing the swing arm before I ride it at the end of the summer. Then I notice the peg protector on the bottom of the left peg and how its all cranked over. Thats an easy fix. Then I notice that the left radiator sits kind of cockeyed when compared to the right one. Now, being an RC noob, I just have to ask, ya think this thing has been in contact with the ground? Plastics show no damage, the bar ends and clutch lever dont either. But those are easy fixes. The previous owner vaguely mentioned the swing arm and after a 7 hour drive to pick it up I had forgotten. I have also noticed that the 2 Bros exhaust pipes are in constant contact with the bottom of the rear sets. That can't be normal, right?

·
Registered
728 Posts
yeah its prolly been tweaked over and he never spent the time to fix the header/mid pipes to ensure it has no interferences.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
probably has been down.....doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't sound right at all. I'd be contacting the seller and asking for explanations and some sort of reimbursement.
I dont see this happening at all...

Ill post some pics in the next couple of days. Maybe some of its normal. Perhaps one of my legs is longer than the other which is throwing things off for me...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would contact him and ask him to be honest, you own the bike now. You cant return it. He has nothing to lose, and you gain the knowledge about your bike.

·
Registered
332 Posts
FWIW...The right side exhaust on stock RC51s does look off center from the factory, but if it's been replaced and there are holes covered with electrical tape, that sounds odd. Would be curious to see pics. For some reason, the factory exhaust is cockeyed a tiny bit.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I agree. Ive always noticed that on my sp1. The right side fits a bit closer. However, it doesnt come close to any clearence issues with swingarm.
Can you post a picture of the hole your talking about? How much clearance do you have? Considering the motion of the swingarm, i would guestimate you need about an inch. I just looked at mine.
If its real close, i would take of both side fairings, and check all the header connections. There's 5 or 6 in all, depending on sp1 or sp2. Use a little penetrating oil where you can, cause the bolts can be very stubborn and you dont wanna twist em off. Once the connections are a little loose, you can see if the system wiggles back into proper place, or close to it. Should probably look up the torque settings when tightening up, cause i remember them being lighter than i expected.
While you got fairings off, look Real close for other damage, especially around the rad area you mentioned. Any leaks?
Good luck, try to get a pic up.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Just reread your post. You said your left side was closer. Shouldn't be any closer. In theory. Get your fairings off and i think you'll be able to tell if anything is wrong. Look right at the rad mounts and spacers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I agree. Ive always noticed that on my sp1. The right side fits a bit closer. However, it doesnt come close to any clearence issues with swingarm.
Can you post a picture of the hole your talking about? How much clearance do you have? Considering the motion of the swingarm, i would guestimate you need about an inch. I just looked at mine.
If its real close, i would take of both side fairings, and check all the header connections. There's 5 or 6 in all, depending on sp1 or sp2. Use a little penetrating oil where you can, cause the bolts can be very stubborn and you dont wanna twist em off. Once the connections are a little loose, you can see if the system wiggles back into proper place, or close to it. Should probably look up the torque settings when tightening up, cause i remember them being lighter than i expected.
While you got fairings off, look Real close for other damage, especially around the rad area you mentioned. Any leaks?
Good luck, try to get a pic up.
The exhaust can caused the damage on the swing arm. The cap on the can has a crack in it. Ill post the pictures ive taken.

Just reread your post. You said your left side was closer. Shouldn't be any closer. In theory. Get your fairings off and i think you'll be able to tell if anything is wrong. Look right at the rad mounts and spacers.
The L/radiator sits crooked. I doubt the pic will do it justice. The front side of it is cocked in.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ouch. It looks like the stock can punched that hole. Are there any other marks on the engine side covers, swingarm or anywhere else to indicate where/how the bike went down? (i.e. did it slide into something and force the rear wheel up into the shock/subframe and cause the damage, or just go down on that side and have the exhaust can ram into the swingarm?)

The subframe may also be tweaked. It's amazing how much ancillary damage occurs when these bikes go down. Tiny things one would never suspect get damaged.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I wish i was there so i could get my nose rite in it! Look for bent mounts at you rad. I think there's only 3 bolts that hold it on. Loosen them up or take em out one at a time and see whats going on there, if anything.
Any scratches or dents on any part of you header? Or around the x-pipe? Check your swingarm mounts visually too, but probably ok unless you got xcessive chain wear.
I'll take some pics of my bike today, maybe help you for reference.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Hey! That second batch off pics didnt show when i just posted. Anyway, looks likeyou're well into it. Thats proply a wrench slip on the steering stem nut. But looks like been down. Still currious bout how your header and connections look. Sorry im not quite up to speed here, my computer is down and doin this from my droid.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey! That second batch off pics didnt show when i just posted. Anyway, looks likeyou're well into it. Thats proply a wrench slip on the steering stem nut. But looks like been down. Still currious bout how your header and connections look. Sorry im not quite up to speed here, my computer is down and doin this from my droid.
No sweat man. There are no other signs its been down. Unless he replaced it all. Or he had sliders and removed them because they were trashed. Im gonna pull the tank off this weekend and get it ready for a valve check. Ill post pics of the exhaust when more is exposed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ouch. It looks like the stock can punched that hole. Are there any other marks on the engine side covers, swingarm or anywhere else to indicate where/how the bike went down? (i.e. did it slide into something and force the rear wheel up into the shock/subframe and cause the damage, or just go down on that side and have the exhaust can ram into the swingarm?)

The subframe may also be tweaked. It's amazing how much ancillary damage occurs when these bikes go down. Tiny things one would never suspect get damaged.
Ive been all over the subframe and it looks good. Im still searching for a newer tail to swap on it. No bueno so far...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damage occurred a few years ago when the previous, previous owner had the bike shipped across the country. Got the tank off today and am working on the box now. The front screw on the stack whoop'd me. Gotta find a long screw driver tomorrow. Guess im going to Lowes.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
try some simple green or a similair degreaser.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts