RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all in RC/SP land.
I'm sure some/most/all of you have seen the full fairing kits on eBay from Hong Kong. My question is this: has anyone ever bought some, and are they crap, halfway reasonable or genuinely OK?
Here's an example of what I'm talking about, if you haven't seen them yet: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fairing-for-Honda-VTR-RVT-1000R-RC51-RC-51-R-C-SP1-SP2_W0QQitemZ220409926103QQcmd
What I'm thinking is, if I can again find the genuine coloured ones that match my bike, that they'd be better to ride around with daily, fearing less the stonechips etc, take to the track for the same reasons(with the possibility of a small 'lie down' always there), PLUS I can punch holes in them for crash knob protector things without stuffing up genuine panelwork.
However, if they're crap, wont line up with genuine mounting points, lights etc, well...
Anyone had a go at these or similar? On that note, my brother had his first ever prang at the last trackday we did, so he's wondering the same thing, but for his GSX-R 750, so ask around; it's the quality vs. price thing I'm weighing up!

·
Registered
863 Posts
I personally have never used them cause I'm scared to death to spend that sort of cash on something and it not work out. Its a mixed bag with those fairings. 50% say they're horrible and 50% say they're ok. Mostly what I've heard about them is there alot thinner then the stock plastics and they don't fit very well. On most of them the holes have to be widened and sometimes the colors don't match up with say the colors on your stock tank.

Give it a shot man and let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
great question that i have wondered about also.

i'm jealous of the bikes that have a plastic cover over their gas tank, like the 2007 cbr10000rr.

50/50 is about what i hear too.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
I personally have never used them cause I'm scared to death to spend that sort of cash on something and it not work out. Its a mixed bag with those fairings. 50% say they're horrible and 50% say they're ok. Mostly what I've heard about them is there alot thinner then the stock plastics and they don't fit very well. On most of them the holes have to be widened and sometimes the colors don't match up with say the colors on your stock tank.

Give it a shot man and let us know how it works out for you.
Ditto on the above remarks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have ridden with someone who got a repsol kit off ebay on a cbr 1000, it looks awesome and matched up fine, I think he did have to drill his own holes....also keep in mind most of those kits DO NOT come with a gas tank, so you will have to repaint yours or keep it off color.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm debating it a bit further. When some more coin arrives, and engine, suspension, brakes and tyres are set up, I'll probably bite the bullet and have a stab at some. I'm not worried if they're a bit flimsy; they're on to save the originals. I'm not worried too much about the colour; how bad can they stuff up black and white? But they will alloy crash knobs to be fitted, so there's a plus. And I'll be slightly less paranoid about having a 'moment' at a trackday...
It might be a while, but I reckon I'll have a go at some...

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
How is the quality of the parts?
Is the material flimsy and prone to cracking or will work well over time?
The rest of the styles are good looking as well on that site.

The main complaint in the past has been fit & finish and material quality.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
389 Posts
first of all, thank you posting the pics,

hard to tell for sure from those pics but those fairings look very good.

there is one pic where the upper and lower are not close to lined up. i assume you simply had to wiggle them together, like the stock fairings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fit and finish was an 8/10. The paint really shines. Little to no blemishes in the actual paint. Typical boring a couple fairing bolt holes bigger but all together Im happy with it. For $580 shipped with a tinted windscreen you can't go wrong really. The undertail comes painted like that but there are no lights and there are no holes for lights. I bought some 48 LED pod from Harrison Specialties or something like that on ebay $55 shipped. And these things are INCREDIBLE!!! Its almost dangerously bright. I could actually see a driver in a car at night being practically blinded by these things. I went with the minolta's because I thought it would compliment my wheels more but all there fairing sets look good. Two thumbs up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They look great to me...

Does anyone known if they are available without all the light cut outs so they could be used on a track bike???

Ita

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They look great to me...

Does anyone known if they are available without all the light cut outs so they could be used on a track bike???

Ita
I'm probably slightly off in the exact company names, but Racers Edge and Race Glass are the brands I see at trackdays in Oz...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm probably slightly off in the exact company names, but Racers Edge and Race Glass are the brands I see at trackdays in Oz...
Thanks mate....

I checked the Race Glass web site and they don't have a listing for the RC51/SP1.... I'll check out Racers Egde...

I don't need a set right away, but I'd like a spare set, just in case :confused: happens :(

Ita

·
Registered
73 Posts
yes!! finally a discussion about those hong kong fairings. i think they look great and i really want that black/red set with the flames. looks badass. been waiting for some opinions. thanks for the pics man, the minolta looks good.

i guess it'll be alright as long as i get the insurance they offer on shipping. once i get my plastics off, thinking about getting them painted matte black and getting a graphics wrap from tapeworks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts