RC51 Forums banner

Should I trade the '08 600 in on the RC51 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking at buying a 2nd gen RC51, as some on here know. Just wanted to get the board's opinion on a specific 2004 that I came across at a (shudder) dealership.

***edited*** Will not be trading in my 600RR for this particular '04 RC51, thanks for everyone's input!

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
That '04 is way overpriced. Especially with the miles. There was just a guy with an RC51 over on speedzilla with full Öhlins suspension for $6.5k You can pick up RC51's for 4500-6500 all day long with that many miles.

Have you ridden an RC51 yet? Honestly, 08 600rr is a way better bike for most things. Of course it doesn't have the soul of the RC, but it is more refined.

After riding the 600, the RC feels heavy, and feels like I am fighting it on the track. The 600 feels more connected, like it knows what I am about to do. It just disappears under you.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
That '04 is way overpriced. Especially with the miles. There was just a guy with an RC51 over on speedzilla with full Öhlins suspension for $6.5k You can pick up RC51's for 4500-6500 all day long with that many miles.

Have you ridden an RC51 yet? Honestly, 08 600rr is a way better bike for most things. Of course it doesn't have the soul of the RC, but it is more refined.

After riding the 600, the RC feels heavy, and feels like I am fighting it on the track. The 600 feels more connected, like it knows what I am about to do. It just disappears under you.
+1bm.

Why attempt to buy one bad priced motorcycle and take a financial hit on a perfectly good motorcycle? You are caught in the middle...bad time to sell, good time to buy.

If anything, I'd wait until summer breaks and sell at a decent price on the 600 and hunt down an RC.:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't do it. The only thing better about the RC (and I have an 04 by the way) is the sound of the exhaust, and 20-30 more horsepower. Once I can afford another modern IL4 literbike, I'm relegating the RC to canyon and track only.

edit: just realized this is my first post and I should probably go find the newb intro section....sorry if i sounded like a douche

2nd edit: Ok, just intro'd myself in newb section so I thought I'd elaborate a bit.

I don't think you should make that specific trade with that dealership, they're raping you. But, if you found an even trade then maybe. Just know what your losing in the trade: comfort, handling, mpg's. But what you'll gain: a smile every time you twist the throttle, and the envy of every other rider out there;)

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
i agree with all those above. Don't do it. Your losing money ona gret bike and spending too much money on the RC. You can find way better deals out there. Be patient.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Don't do it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I thought about it overnight and decided against it. I do appreciate the feedback, thanks to everyone who has chimed in and/or voted.

Just gonna hold out and continue my search throughout the winter and into spring... :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, sometimes you got to be patient.
I dropped out on a purchase 2 years ago, only to buy the very same bike at 3k less just last month.
Opportunities always come sooner or later.

E.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I voted YES, The RC-51 is the ole' muscle, and can be refined... The CBR600 is a dime a dozen(No soul)
Right, no one is saying keep the 600 over the RC. The issue is this, SP2's are not rare you can find them for sale....yes you may have to wait a bit longer but they pop up all the time.
The problem is he would be paying twice as much for a bike he could find a lot cheaper and with a lot less miles. On top of that, if he trades in his CBR 600 he's going to lose big time on that as well.
Be patient and you'll get the bike you want for the price you want and hopefully make a little extra off the CBR as well. It's winter anyway, your nice riding days are limited as is.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Patience is a virtue...........I've personally had no problems driving 5+ hours away for a bike that's priced right.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You will not find too many on this forum to admit that the CBR is faster especially when roads become narrower and twistier. Even though the RC seems small compared to the 600 it is big and heavy. I couldn't live with an 05-06 CBR6 I rode just because it was too small and felt too much like a toy.
I'd say that if you are above 5'8" (1.73m) unless you are racing 600s you need a bigger bike. The CBR seems to be the smallest of the 600s.

Keep that 600 and save up for some real deal and have both.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I agree with a lot of what Zerogara said. The 600 will run circles around the RC in the twisties. It's a lot faster on the track as well. I think 600's are way under rated, and guys buy them as a first bike and toss them once they "decide" they are not fast enough, when in reality it is more bike then most of us could ever handle or master. I was one of those guys. I sold my R6 for a S1000RR. Great bike but i realized i was slower on it and traded it a few days ago for a supersport again.

I say keep the 600 and sell the CBR 1000. Then get your RC.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with a lot of what Zerogara said. The 600 will run circles around the RC in the twisties. It's a lot faster on the track as well. I think 600's are way under rated, and guys buy them as a first bike and toss them once they "decide" they are not fast enough, when in reality it is more bike then most of us could ever handle or master. I was one of those guys. I sold my R6 for a S1000RR. Great bike but i realized i was slower on it and traded it a few days ago for a supersport again.

I say keep the 600 and sell the CBR 1000. Then get your RC.
I honestly think the 600rr is a great bike, light and quick. I can guarantee you that if your gonna compete with an rc51 on the track with an experienced rider, you will not win.
I was at thunderbolt raceway and the leader of the pack had an 04 rc51 that was going back and forth with an r1. I had a 95 gsxr with stage 3 mods and I wasn't that far behind and a 600rr behind me that I kept losing on the straight of way. This is one of the reasons I purchased an rc51 for the mere power of it that just feels right.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 14 of 14 Posts