RC51 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more of a general question vs a specific question for the RC.

so my throttle grip seems like it's loose these days, and I have to keep readjusting to grab more throttle? anyone else had this problem?? I'll be riding along and the grip slips and i slowly lose throttle.

Do I glue the grip back down?? If so, what glue is recommended.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts

so my throttle grip seems like it's loose these days, and I have to keep readjusting to grab more throttle? anyone else had this problem?? I'll be riding along and the grip slips and i slowly lose throttle.

Thanks
I had the same issue, so before my trackday started, I safety wired the grip... a spray glue works well, but since I was at the track, and safety wire was available, I did that.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Thanks
Same happening here after replacing grips with Renthal items. I used the recommended renthal glue which has done the trick, but guess other glues would work just as well.

As a side line, when replacing the grips the left bar is smaller than the right. I used electrical tape to build up the bar so the new grips would fit, but surely there is a better way?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So just to clarify, I should take the grip off, spray glue over the handle bar and put the grip back on? What glue should I use?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I both glued and safety wired my Renthal grips due to previous (non-Renthal) grips slipping despite the glue.

I'd suggest removing the grips and re-glueing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you have any rattle spray paint cans laying around paint works good if you don't have any glue. It's what I use and it holds tight when dry.

Spray the paint on the inside of the grip (a little goes a long way). This allows the paint to act as a lubricant while installing. Have a rag handy to wipe any excess paint. Slide and twist it on to the bar and the throttle and adjust till happy. Should be dry enough to ride in a couple of hours if you didn't use to much paint. Left over night to setup and it will be locked in place.

I never had one come loose after using this method.
Easy to get if off when you need too, just slice the old grip and peel off.
Cleaning up the bar and throttle is easy just sand off any residual paint after removing the old grips and start over.

IMPORTANT: >Use enamel paint< it drys slower so it doesn't lock before you get it in position. If you not sure it'll work try it on you kids bike first :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts