RC51 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to order a throttle position sensor, for a 2001 RC. On the honda parts nation web sit the only thing I see is the sensor map (SENSOR, MAP (Honda Code 6395339) on their web site is this the throttle position sensor I need.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
The throttle position sensor is installed and calibrated with the throttle body assembly.
So if the TPS goes bad, you'll have to install the entire throttle body assembly.
If you try to swap out the TPS from another throttle body, there's no procedure to calibrate the TPS.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
The throttle position sensor is installed and calibrated with the throttle body assembly.
So if the TPS goes bad, you'll have to install the entire throttle body assembly.
If you try to swap out the TPS from another throttle body, there's no procedure to calibrate the TPS.
LDH has not come up with a way to cal these?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that sucks how often to these throttle bodies go out I have a FI light that come on a stays on and the two codes Im getting are 11 and 8. I also have read that some other members are having the same codes

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Well code 11 is the speed sensor or wiring while 8 is TPS related.
Have you checked that it may be oxidation on the connectors or have you checked the TPS voltages per the service manual?
Oxidation can create a resistive load across the contacts and affect the voltage readings.
I know my bike had oxidation on it's connectors when I replaced my wiring harnesses last year (due to previous owner stupidity). One connector had contacts that were green due to corrosion. That's why I liberally dosed all connectors with dielectric grease to ward that off.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the RC back from the mechanic today and rode around for about an hour with out the FI light coming on so problem fixed. Mechanic stated that a wire running to the ECM was loose, because the ECM wasn't secure in the tail section of the bike. Thanks for all for the info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A Tps Should Have A 5 Volt Referance. We Should Be Able To Be Calabrated With A Volt Meater If You Know The Base Setting. Most Are .5v To.99 Throtle Closed. Sorry About My Bad Spelling Im A Mechanic Not Spelling Teacher. Also Wtb Sp2 Owners Manual And Shop Manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If a tps acts up, will it also throw an fi light? I think I have an FPR issue, but not sure. Pulled the vacuum tube off the FPR and it's not leaning file under prime and engine run, however,, the bike is running richer, and it dies when u pull the clutch to come to a stop... Any ideas in this forum?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did- it was the map unplugged. However, I believe the higher idle is cause by excess fuel dumping in the combustion chamber, similiar to choking the bike essentially... But can this be caused by the regulator putting to much fuel in the chamber even though it's not leaking? All hoses are not pinched. All looks good

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Does your bike have strong fuel smell since the regulator replacement?
Does the engine idle change as it warms up?
Did your fuel pressure regulator drip fuel out the diaphragm side inlet?
Usually when the diaphragm breaks is when fuel starts dripping out the vacuum side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The regulator has not been replaced yet. It's still on order, however I have noticed alot of vapor coming out of the air box when the lid is off, and it smells like uncombusted fuel. Maybe the FPR is just starting to fail, but not leaking yet? The bike starts and idles fine, but when u take off down the road and come to a stop, it wants to die...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.