RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question I have owned a 1998 VTR 1000 Superhawk since new and its carberated. I have not had the glitchy throttle response on this bike as I am having with My RC.
I am running with out mufflers so I know that is probably my biggest problem. I have a bike shop real close to me that has a dyno and will tune the bike to the setup I have now. I will be installing a power commander to help with this as well. But it seems the research I have done on the throttle response on the RC is not uncommon.
Besides tuning, Dynoing, and installing a power comander does any one have any other suggestions or doing those three things will solve my problem.
Any info or suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
A PC and either 15/41 or 15/42 sprockets will do the trick.

I'm not sure a dyno tune will help with snatchy-ness. I did the PC and 15/41 and mine rides like normal now.

Of course a dyno tune should maximize your engine performance.

"Tuning" the bike with a dyno is done in conjunction with the PC or other fuel management system. Setting up the proper fuel map creates a smoother response while maximizing performance by finding the optimum air/fuel ratio...so I've read.

So it has to be done together (dyno and fuel management tool) as just adding a PC doesn't actually do anything since the map is what actually changes the fuel setup.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
"Tuning" the bike with a dyno is done in conjunction with the PC or other fuel management system. Setting up the proper fuel map creates a smoother response while maximizing performance by finding the optimum air/fuel ratio...so I've read.

So it has to be done together (dyno and fuel management tool) as just adding a PC doesn't actually do anything since the map is what actually changes the fuel setup.
Right ... so ... I should've added: I installed my PC and selected a map from the choices that I thought was closest to my bike. Results were pretty good, bike was way smoother but almost sluggish. Tried another. Results slightly different, bike was harsher, ie not as smooth, but felt faster. Tried a 3rd. Seemed like a good combo a nice and smooth and fast. I called it done with the idea that I might get it dyno'd at some point ... but right now it's smooth and fast, so it works for me, for now.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Right ... so ... I should've added: I installed my PC and selected a map from the choices that I thought was closest to my bike. Results were pretty good, bike was way smoother but almost sluggish. Tried another. Results slightly different, bike was harsher, ie not as smooth, but felt faster. Tried a 3rd. Seemed like a good combo a nice and smooth and fast. I called it done with the idea that I might get it dyno'd at some point ... but right now it's smooth and fast, so it works for me, for now.

Yessir! The map I'm using right now is pretty good, but could use some tuning based on my altitude (and of course every engine is different)

Going to install my autotune pretty soon...so I have tons of research to do in order to really understand how to make the proper adjustments. Learning never stops.

Edit: my throttle response did improve after adding the PCV and map. Still need to adjust my gearing though.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
A quality map on a PC worked out for the exhaust & setup being used will remove any hesitation and maximise performance. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts