RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with Sp1's

I have just sent off a package of numerous items to Pete at Ti64.

One of the items going over for replication in Ti is the OEM sp1 stem nut.
Stig is also having one made up for his VFR which will be seeing an rc51 front end conversion.

Just letting everyone know, if you would like a sweet center piece for your cockpit - now is the time to place the order as he would make them all in one run I am sure.

Post up with interest or PM me.
:cool:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Pete's working on stuff for my bikes at the moment and I just e-mailed him about an order for 4 sets of stand bobbins made of Titanium with 20mm M8 sized studs - to fit our swing arms. This was an additional order placed after my original one for several things, so will take some time to make yet, possibly. That means if anybody else wants some, they can let me know and I will ask for more to be made in the batch.

I've sent him a couple of pics of stand bobbins seen on Moto GP bikes last weekend, but our's will be made of titanium - possibly drilled for extra light weight and aesthetics. I know he'll make something beautiful.

At this time I don't yet know the price, as he usually quotes once he begins the work or has even completed it - as it depends on time to produce. I'd guess somewhere around $125 a set, but please don't hold me to it. True quality isn't expensive - it's priceless!
Having said that, Pete's always been fair with me on what he charges for his work and what he makes is always beautiful.

I won't be adding any markup. Just happy to help those who want some of these like me.

So far I have:

(1). Stig
(2). Duckhunter
(3). Frezon

Once he's produced them, I'll update with pics. Will also be updating with pics on other work he's doing for my bike on my own thread. That'll be pretty cool stuff.

Duck, sorry for jumping in here, I figured it appropriate as we're talking about the same source. :)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
OK, just to update those interested - I now have a price from Ti64 for the titanium bobbins. I spent a fair bit of time taking measurements of Probolt's and working out smaller dimensions to make these more beautiful as well as making suggestions for design. Ultimately I'll leave it up to Pete - as he's plenty experienced in making beautiful titanium parts, I know these will be exquisite!

The cost is 50 GBP per set, but on top of that I'll need to consider postage to me in Japan then onward postage to those who want a set. So I'd say around 20 GBP for postage costs. At 70 GBP we're looking at $115 USD. So my estimate wasn't far off...

Anyways, I have asked him to make 6 sets, as I know Carlos will want one and then I'll have a couple of spares if anyone likes them when pictures are up. He'll have these made next week I expect - will be another week or so before it all gets to me though. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Has anybody had wheel spindles done for an sp1 yet?
I want Pete to make me a set in 7075 alloy and he is not sure if he has dimensions

cheers

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7075 is not the best for axles....
Go with Ti
sbkdrew has a pot cooking ..
pm him.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have already discussed 7075 with Pete, he said with my combined weight of bike and rider at 250kg it will be fine, and it's cheaper :)

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spindles for sp2 will work fine on sp1...
rear spindle on sp2 is a little longer then the sp1.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I know the front is the same and suspected the rear was longer, but longer is heavier!
anybody got the dimensions?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Pete actually e-mailed me yesterday and I told him much the same thing, although I suggested comparing part numbers for front spindle on www.ronayers.com and that the rear spindle on the SP2 was slightly longer than SP1. I've heard it said it's only around 5mm, but when spending this sort of money it would be worth removing it, checking the smooth length, threade length & total length + diameter and sending these dimensions to Pete.

b.miller123 - The bobbins will be made from an amalgam of designs which I gave dimensions for, but left the finishing design to Pete to work out, as he's the man with the experience in making beautiful titanium bits here but I wouldn't be surprised to see the wall be of dished design and have neatly drilled holes for aesthetics and light weight. :D

I expect he'll be done within a week, so when he is finished no doubt he'll have some pictures for us to see.

As I have titanium spindles (He's making the swing arm now, complete with threaded sleeve & lock nuts! :D) it makes sense to have Ti bobbins too.

My guess is these will be the sweetest bobbins I'll ever see. Which is why I had a few extra sets made. :)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
@dansp1.
If you ever come to sell the bike and part out the goodies Ti spindles will be worth a lot more than 7075 items, IMHO. They'll possibly be worth what you paid for them or more - depending on how many years hence. About 4 years ago I sold a car's titanium exhaust I'd paid some $600 new (equivalent) in 2003 for same as what I paid for it because the manufacturer's price had jumped to around double during that time.

Quality titanium has been going up & up in price for the last 10 years (3-4 times roughly if not more??) and it's not showing signs of stopping. Ask Pete - he used to pay a lot less for titanium bar than he is being asked for now. By a factor greater than 5! And he could buy cheaper Chinese Ti, but for safety reasons he doesn't. :)

Clearly there's no bad choice between 7075 and Ti64, but one is a lot more desirable a material than the other. In a few years you won't have a clue what you will have spent the difference on, but you'll be holding a piece of beautiful craftsmanship every time you remove your wheel. I suspect in a few years Pete's workload & back orders will be a lot more than it already is and these reasons are why I'm getting my bits made by him now rather than later!
....well, it seems like good justification, but the truth is I go nuts for titanium. :p

·
Registered
729 Posts
Good advice Stig, but i have had my bike 13 years and don't see it going anytime soon, at 53 years old i don't feel a need to have the latest and greatest, besides it has so much time money and effort in it i could never sell!
I have a two stroke Saab that is crying out for more power and less weight so need the extra £££'s

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Wow Dan - That's a good long while to have an SP!
Sounds like a mid life (40 :p) crisis purchase that turned out to be the right choice. :)

Saab. That's nice. I have one of my first memories in one of those 96's (V4 - 4 stroke with ugly rubber bumpers). As my dad pulled out of a parking spot on a steep wet cobbled road in Lisbon in his, we got rear ended by a car that couldn't stop. I bashed my head on the front screen, cracked it & needed stitches. I was about 5 years old. I remember the car more than the accident.
The 2 strokes sound not too dissimilar sounding to a rotary... For added power -stick a bridgeported 13B N/A in there (Plenty small enough :D) and it'll sound similar but literally fly (But stopping may be more of a challenge)! :D

No, you can't do that. It would be sacriledge but would certainly be fun.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Talked to a guy last week who has a race car making 109bhp, not bad for an old 841cc two stroke, i am aiming for 700 kg and around 90bhp, should be quick enough :)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Dan - Here's a guy you might want to have a chat with. He can do a thing or two with 2 strokes and apparently has a very strong reputation. Am about to talk with him myself... http://mickabbeytuning.co.uk/

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Hey Stig, do any pictures exist of the front and rear spindles (axles) you had made by Ti64?
If so I sure would like to see them if possible....:cool:

Andy

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Yep. Mine & nobody's.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts