RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

New to this forum and i have a SP1 7000 miles and been only a track bike currently turn into a commuter. i rode it one day with out a helmet on and noticed a very distinct ticking noise.....checked valve clearance and exhaust leaks and everything was ok. I guess my question is i just want to compare rc noise with another rc......so I can stop thinkin about it....I live in the long beach CA area

thank you

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
Was it a loud ticking noise, or one where you had to listen closely?
They do make a bit of ticking noise when the valves actuate (usually when cold), but it is difficult to hear over the rest of the engine noises.
Does it make the sound near the top end or lower down in the engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
top end mostly from the rear cylinder. I went to a couple of local motorcycle shop no on actually knows enough of rc51...they more or less guess what that noise is>>

Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
get after market cans and that should help :rolleyes:
No really does it get faster or louder when you give it gas?

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
top end mostly from the rear cylinder. I went to a couple of local motorcycle shop no on actually knows enough of rc51...they more or less guess what that noise is>>

Thanks
When you checked the valve clearances, was shim replacement needed, especially on the rear valves?
If so, when the cams were pulled, did the cam lobes and buckets look fine with no adverse wear indicated?
And if shims were swapped, was the clearance withing spec on all valves?

If no wear was found, and the clearances are all within spec, then I'd say it's just normal ticking during valve actuation.

Mine makes ticking noises under normal conditions, and even my FZ1 does the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts