RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help. The other day I popped a wheelie, after coming down my bike cut off. It was starting while it was leaning, now it won't do nothing but try. I thought it may have flooded somehow, but that's not it. I'm thinking it may be the tip sensor. Any help?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
382 Posts
Check the bank angle sensor. The sensor won't let the fuel pump or the engine run. from a quote elsewhere in the forum...

The bank angle sensor is a safety device that kills the fuel pump if the bike is tilted beyond a certain angle. Mainly if the bike falls over.
This will prevent the engine from running and causing harm to rider or engine.

The three main components (discounting fuses) that allow the fuel pump to run are:
1) Bank angle sensor (it's that black object at the front lower part of the rear fender). That allows actuation of...
2) The Bank Angle Sensor Relay. When actuated by the BAS allows power to...
3) The Fuel Cutout Relay. That then powers the fuel pump.

You may have actuation of the BAS relay but no actuation of the fuel cutout relay.
You can remove the relay and use a meter to measure continuity across the contacts using some jumper leads to energize the relay coils.

For the Bank Angle Sensor:
The relay coil is: Red/Orange and Black
The contacts are: Red/White and Black/White

For the Fuel Cutout Relay:
The relay coil is: Black/White and Brown/Black
The contacts are: Brown and Black/White

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Mike has a good point there, if it's your bank angle sensor, or the related relays, you won't hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on.
You didn't say specifically if you hear the fuel pump...

Could also be your switch at the kickstand.

If you want to try swapping relays, the headlight relay located in the inside left front fairing is the same as the bank angle relay and the fuel cut-out relay.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Make sure the bank angle sensor is mounted properly, I have seen cases where the bolts vibrate loose/out and cause problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re-checked cables, battery & everything short of complete dis-assembly. Mechanic told me it could be spark plugs & I don't see how when it was starting after the fact.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
If it is a faulty sensor, an ECU self diagnose procedure will reveal it instantly.
You could also check the relays because bank angle sensor triggers one so if efverything is OK, you should have a "live" Black/White cable coming out of it's relay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts