RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the bolts attaching my front rotor shear off flat with the carrier. I was hoping there was a little meat left so I could get it out with some vice grips, but no such luck. I'm thinking getting a small drill bit and drilling it out. I made a half-ass attempt to jbweld it back together last night and that failed as expected. I bet a small weld would do the trick but I don't have access to anything like that. Any other suggestions?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
JB weld......:eek:??? Seriously man !!:rolleyes:;):D?? LOL !!!

LOL !!! Sorry.... Ok..... Yes what Nobody said..... Oil it up, soak it HEAT !!! is key.... will expand the metal around the bolt. And a left handed drill bit or extractor bit will do the job.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Over-tightening's caused your problems here...

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Over-tightening's caused your problems here...
If it were me. I'd throw the whole lot away and buy new. Just in case you have a bolt that has been stretched or cracked. (Small enough to where you cannot see it.)

The last thing you want to do is have this happen again.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
These only get torqued to 14 ft lbs, which is pretty low. The thread locker does most of the work. Just don't put red loctite on there. Honda uses red, but it is actually the same as the blue (non-permanent) that we are supposed to use. The manual also says to replace the bolts every time with new ones.

One note about aftermarket replacement bolts: if you get bolts from Pro-bolt, they have different torque values for the stainless steel. A friend discovered this the hard way when using their rotor bolts. The titanium ones are the only ones that use OEM torque specs

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
14 lb/ft seems low...but you are correct that the factory Honda red thread locker is of med strength. I think the new bolts from Honda come with the thread locker on the bolts? Maybe Yamaha I can't remember.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts