RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am new to the RC51 game, I am a heavier rider , around 260#, so I need some feedback on a good tire for street riding. Looking at the Michelin Power and Rocky Mountain has them for $216/pair shipped. Looks like a decent tire that has good lean angles and grip. Any pros or cons? I am picking up the bike today and already know it will need a rear tire soon...

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Lots of folks use them, I like the BT 0016 from Bridgestone. Thats a good price and probably wouldn't turn away from it.

Try a 190/55 rear, its a taller profile that helps the RC steer better.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Powers

Pilot powers last good and plenty grip! My2 cents :) Hoovy

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've been riding since I was a kid and used to do a lot of track days back in England. Can't do any at the moment as I got fat since moving to the US and can't fit in my leathers anymore. Lol. Anyhow, for the average rider, I don't think it matters what tyre you get, I find it more important to find a pressure that suits your riding best. If you do a lot more straight runs with little curves, keep the pressure higher. If you like more curves, drop the pressure until you find your comfort zone. Just remember, the lower the pressure, the quicker you will need to replace your tyres. That's just my 2 cents, 2 pennies anyway.

·
Super Moderator
6,483 Posts
I used to run Pirelli Corsa III, but Pirelli priced me out of their game.
At the time, Michelin was also very proud of their tires and I couldn't afford them either.

I tried alternatives, such as Bridgestone BT-016 and Continental SportAttack.
The BT-016s were hard to beat for price. They may still be the lowest price performance tire.
The Conti SportAttacks were a pretty good tire too. Especially in the wet.

When the Dunlop Q2s came out, I decided to try them and was impressed.
They reminded me of the Corsa IIIs in behavior.
I've also been able to buy several sets from sales specials advertised in this forum.

Now that the Pilot Pure has been out, the Michelin Pilot Power and 2CT have been coming down in price to where I can buy a set, so maybe one day I might try them.

I run Pilot Road 2 on the FZ1 and they last forever.
I got 13K miles on the front and 9K miles on the rear of the first set.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use Pilot Power 2CT on all my bikes. I really like them. The dual compound helps a lil' bit with wear. I have 190/50's on the back now, next time I'll try 55's and see if I like the difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So it will make the bike a little more forgiving with the 55 tire on it over the 50 because of the wider contact patch AT lean angle, right?

So WHAT SIZE to Order 180 or 190 55 17?

·
Registered
158 Posts
190/55 in a sport touring tire if you only ride street, and a ss tire if youre riding on the track, race tire if you race.. dont overdo it with the tires: purchasing ss tire for the street makes ZERO sense. st tires perform better and last longer on the street then ss tires. ss tires are meant for a weekend bike: track (white,red), or hard hard canyon ride. and i mean HARD! race tires for blue group or racers.

i use bt20/21 or pilot road 2/3 on the street, and alternate between q2/pure on the track.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Michelin Power Pures for the street i think are the best 190/55/17 rear

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
All I have done is street riding and a lot of commuting. I had 190/55 pilot power 2ct and killed in under 4k. Now I'm running a pilot road 2, 2ct also the 55.

The road2 is holding up really well, about 1k on it. I've pushed it hard enough that I don't have chicken strips but not hard enough to really feel a difernce over the power.

James

1 - 20 of 26 Posts