RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gents,
Just thought I would share that I have contacted Ti64 about getting some of the pictured bolts made up from Titanium in sets of 2.
I will post up a price for a set when I hear back.
I have also shown a pic of one of these bolts with the head snapped off... This happened while a fellow member was tracking.
Post up if your interested in a set.
I am sure those running the Gilles adjustors will agree it is a good idea.

*UPDATE*

After hearing back from Pete, the cost of 2 bolts made from Ti is approx £15 per bolt...around $50ish CDN shipped I assume. Will know more after Pete gets the core sample.

I have the following people down for a set of 2 adjustor bolts in Ti.

- Myself
- Nobody
- Waldo

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey bro, Pete at Ti64 has sent a reply to me.
He is asking for £15 per bolt, I am sending the one I have out to him today via Airmail to the U.K.

I have no problem with his price so I am going ahead.

Anybody wanting a set...
looking at £30 + shipping I believe.

;)

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Pete will make you some replacements of amazing quality. If I had Giles adjusters I'd be wanting these too! :D

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Pretty easy to see why they fail there...let me know the price as per our texts sir.
If that's the way those bolts are designed, titanium won't make much difference.
That is a huge stress riser at that necked down area. No wonder that bolt snapped.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
If that's the way those bolts are designed, titanium won't make much difference.
That is a huge stress riser at that necked down area. No wonder that bolt snapped.
Actual design flaw or just operator error? Considering that this generation of adjusters all looked the same I'm going to assume they use a lot of the same design pieces and worked to fit the appropriate application. I've been around bikes and forums for quite awhile and have heard of two failures both RC's oddly enough.

Makes me wonder about the thousands or more sold worldwide how come I just haven't heard about more failures...or a freak combination of both maybe? Operator error/design flaw mixing together to create the "perfect storm".

Anyone else heard with documentation of other failures and can provide testimony? I would really like to see it...

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Not true according to Pete.
He says the Ti will still have a weak point there.... of course.

But these would be stronger and will most likely take the stress better and much longer.

So it is worth it in my mind... as I plan to run the Gilles I picked up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Those were my adjusters and the only operator error I made was putting them on. The OEM adjusters may not look nearly as cool but I'm certain they will not fail. Those adjusters cost me half a track day and luckily they didn't crash me out.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Those were my adjusters and the only operator error I made was putting them on. The OEM adjusters may not look nearly as cool but I'm certain they will not fail. Those adjusters cost me half a track day and luckily they didn't crash me out.
Well if you're adamant there was no operator error...then maybe just a bad bolt? Mass produced and a few don't meet spec it's bound to happen no?

Like I said earlier I've really only heard of the two failures...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought them used and ran them all last year and up to the point of failure this year. I'm guessing like 18 trackdays on them from me but who knows what their previous history was. I have read that they loose adjustment but I never had that problem.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 49 Posts