RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so the HIDS on the bike I have look to be a cheap ebay knock off and one of the ballast doesn't seem to work all the time. I've started the bike up and my low beam wasn't on, turn off and it magically works with another try... (Probably why I got hit by a truck at night).

So, I can go back to stock because these are plug and play but, my previous bike, ZX14 I bought HIDs for and I prefer them. And they cost the same. 55W 5000K $27 each HID.

This is the company I got them from and can highly recommend this company as their customer service rocked but that was back in 2008. (My ZX14 had four headlights so a cost of $180 back then but now they're much cheaper and I only need two).

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

Give me your thoughts.

P.S If I should have put this in General please move mods. Just realized this is probably the wrong forum.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Even though I sometimes ride at night - I wouldn't put HID's on... They stick out further than bulbs, can be unreliable and the ballasts will be a pain to position somewhere sturdy. You'll also have a lot of excess wiring to hide (Since these tend to be made for cars).

Just get some 5000K white bulbs. Not that big a difference and you won't be adding un-necessary complication and weight.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Stay away from hids unless you are using projector style headlights. Way too much scatter as the stock headlights are designed around a halogen bulb. You'll destroy oncoming eyes especially running 55w (which is another "no go" all in itself) but that's another discussion. Silverstar ultra is a nice bulb.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I bought the Napa Autoparts brand in bright white for $60.
They are bright. I have also covered a bit of my lights with plasti-dip but it doesn't effect the lights as much as you may think.

I have HIDs in the Pilot. Holy crap, what a pain. You have to take the entire car apart just to get them in, but worth it.

Now they have these LED headlights.
Anyone have experience with them?

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys, probably just get the regular in that case.

Only LED headlights I've seen were the Hummers in Iraq, those things were crazy bright headlights much better than the old bulbs they used. The were arranged in clusters.

Would look good on the bike lol.

One thing I dislike about the RC is one light for low and one light for hi.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I run both of mine. You can adjust the height on it. I brought the low up just a tad and the high down a bit so they are both level. I see great, and I never get flashed.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run both of mine. You can adjust the height on it. I brought the low up just a tad and the high down a bit so they are both level. I see great, and I never get flashed.
Did you just use trial and error to get the levels right? or up against a wall and measure it?

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Garage door. It has lines going across.
Set mine up on the stands and adjusted it. Rode it for test, and came back for final adjustment.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok cool, I used the wall in the garage earlier so will see if I get flashed... Just bought the Silverlight from Advance, completely different color to the one I already have for the high haha idiot.... I hate being sick and making stupid decisions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts