RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done my research and read most everything that I could find about the performance benefits a Power Commander III USB gives. But have not been about to find the answers to these questions to help me decide. It's also kind of a money thing for me; will I be happy with the $200-$300 I've spent? I know that one is all on me to answer.

My questions are;

Is a Power Commander really worth it for a street RC?

Will not having the FI remapped cause engine problems? I.E. running lean?

I have done the free mods, a set of Micron(high) and Jardine(low) slip-ons.

I'm new to riding and mod'n sportbikes and just looking for some insite from our resident experts and the ones who have gone this path before me.
Thanks for the help.
James

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Thats another thing...I havent been able to find a dyno/tuner in my area. Whats average "ball park" cost for a dyno and tune? I know it will change from shop to shop.
The closest Dynojet facility shown on their map is about an hour from you:
M & M Cycles
1238 Pony Farm Rd
Jacksonville , 28540
Phone : 910-347-4050

The ballpark is around $400 give or take.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's worth the money. Stock, the RC runs lean just off-idle to meet EPA specs and has a flat spot around 5500rpm. The PC3 and an hour on a dyno will cure that.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Sub,
Thanks for the contact info, just called M&M $30 for a dyno run and $60hr for tuning. I was thinking it was going to be a bit more expensive. My only experience is when a buddy of mine had his turbo'd Civic dyno tuned for like $2k.
Make sure you deliver the bike with a full tank. It will use most of it during the dyno runs.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
usually will run you around 200-300 for a tune all said and done (not including the powercommander of course). its really not as expensive as people make it out to be.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK!!OK!! You guy have twisted my arm, I guess I can get one.

Nothing like giving in to peer-pressure to make my bike go faster.:D

Any HOT tips on a good used one?

Thanks for all the insight gents.
James

Hope this becomes useful to others, I assumed that dyno prices were expensive. And now we all know what part of that sayn I am.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ebay, Craiglist...

Used PC3's are around and it might be possible to get a discount on a new one since RC51's are no longer made. I'm not sure my bike was dyno'd and I think I'm using a standard tuning available from dynojet with micron slip ons. When I first bought the bike the owner had pulled the PC3 and it had a terrible off idle dip and just wasn't very driveable unless you really got on it. I reinstalled the PC3 and now it's like an electric motor - smooth all the way from idle to redline.

I'm not sure my bike makes 130 at the rear wheel or even 110hp, but smooth power delivery is worth a lot. I used to race twins (suzuki GS550E) and in stock form it was ok, but slow. Most of us racers in this class 'fixed' on our bikes until they either didn't run anymore or were awful to ride. Peer pressure 'forced' me to go through the drill of a big bore kit, flat slide carbs, 2-1 exhaust and cams. It more or less ran all the power way up (what little it had) in the rev range. After that I had a stock car guy port the heads and the result was really smooth power and possibly not as much on top. It didn't matter since the bike was so easy to ride fast that I dropped almost 5 sec off my lap time. Smooth power out of turns and less peaky means less things happening to upset the bike and mainly the rider. It's not unusual for the press to ride the latest superbike champion's bike only to find it less than exciting to ride. Sure it makes big power, but the 'turbo/nitrous' effect really doesn't have a place on a road race track (maybe on a straight).

thanks,

Pat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts