RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've got a 2002 that is in kind of rough shape cosmetically. I'm planning on buying a CBR1K this coming Spring and wanted to redo my RC51 as a winter project. Next season I plan on getting in on track days and was shopping around for a cheap track 600 (R6/CBR6) and thought maybe I should just turn my RC51 into a track bike. How many of you have tracked out your RC51s and can give me a first hand account of comparing it to running a 600 on the track? More or less I want a track bike that can help nurture me on my path to getting faster.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Meh, whatever, I'm gonna track it anyways.
Yep. Gotta remember that these bikes were originally race bikes and designed for the race track so no harm in tracking them. And being a Honda, it's probably gonna be pretty reliable especially if you take care of it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mechanically strong, cosmetically rough, sounds like a perfect track mule. If you're new to trackdays any bike will do for a while. The RC51 is a heavy and slow but it has great torque and is a blast, especially on bigger more open tracks. On tight tracks it can be a handful.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the problem is that I plan on doing most, if not all, of my trackdays at thunderbolt at NJMP... supposedly a pretty technical track. I figure if I can run a race pace on this bike, I can do it on anything. I dunno when I bother making these threads. :p

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had my RC51 at NJMP a bunch of times and it's a great bike for that track. Thunderbolt is a fast, smooth, and open track that's easy to learn. I expect to do half dozen days with Tonys Track Days at NJMP next year, but I'll usually have my CBR1k with me.

I don't know if you plan to go to NHMS too, but NHMS is a more technical track that's a bit more fun with a smaller, lighter bike.

It sounds like you've decided to use the RC51 at the track and I think you'll really like it at NJMP. The downside of the RC51 is turn-in requires more effort than a 600 or the CBR1k, but NJMP isn't a quick-turn, point-and-shoot kind of track.

I hope this helps, maybe I'll see you at NJMP sometime.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I've enjoyed mine at the track. For beginners, I think it is a great bike for the track. Plenty of the grunt to keep you from getting worried about what gear you are in, and just enough HP to scare you a little, but still stable enough that it won't be a problem in the bumpy bits. The turn in is a little stiff, but that quickly becomes an exercise in counter steering.

·
Registered
575 Posts
track track omg there is not one car out there when your riding LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently did two days at Laguna Seca on my 2001 that is 100% track-only. It was freaking awesome. I can't give you more info than has already been given about how it rides other than by the end of day two I was dragging my knee consistently and keeping up with my WERA/AFM racing friend on his SV650. He was surprised also as it was only my 5th track day and 3rd on the RC51.
Trust me: you'll love it!

·
Registered
158 Posts
ive tracked mine aplenty, its a blast!! its not the lightest or the fastest, but its fun as hell. i rode it at thunderbolt 4 times.. make sure you have fresh quality brake fluid and some good pads on it though, because they sure as hell fade after some good use. especially if you're north of 200lbs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had my RC51 at NJMP a bunch of times and it's a great bike for that track. Thunderbolt is a fast, smooth, and open track that's easy to learn. I expect to do half dozen days with Tonys Track Days at NJMP next year, but I'll usually have my CBR1k with me.

I don't know if you plan to go to NHMS too, but NHMS is a more technical track that's a bit more fun with a smaller, lighter bike.

It sounds like you've decided to use the RC51 at the track and I think you'll really like it at NJMP. The downside of the RC51 is turn-in requires more effort than a 600 or the CBR1k, but NJMP isn't a quick-turn, point-and-shoot kind of track.

I hope this helps, maybe I'll see you at NJMP sometime.
I'm probably gonna be riding with Nesba... Most of the guys who do track days at work ride with Nesba and our service manager's a control rider for them. I'm contemplating getting a TPM membership, but it'll depend on how many t-bolt days they have next year. Unfortunately, I can't have long periods of time off to hit the tracks, but I was hoping to hit VIR or some tracks further away if possible. Nothing's set in stone, I'm gonna be doing it as best as I can next year.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive tracked mine aplenty, its a blast!! its not the lightest or the fastest, but its fun as hell. i rode it at thunderbolt 4 times.. make sure you have fresh quality brake fluid and some good pads on it though, because they sure as hell fade after some good use. especially if you're north of 200lbs.
Yeah, I was planning on getting some Super Blue in the lines. Fresh brake pads n' tires should be on there before the spring.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yeah, I was planning on getting some Super Blue in the lines. Fresh brake pads n' tires should be on there before the spring.
just have the best tires you can get , as for the brakes ,, just dont use them ,, they slow you down :) just kidding ,,, i change my brake fluid before every track day , get a brake bleeding gun so you can get it done with out having to ask for help ,,,,

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm probably gonna be riding with Nesba... Most of the guys who do track days at work ride with Nesba and our service manager's a control rider for them. I'm contemplating getting a TPM membership, but it'll depend on how many t-bolt days they have next year. Unfortunately, I can't have long periods of time off to hit the tracks, but I was hoping to hit VIR or some tracks further away if possible. Nothing's set in stone, I'm gonna be doing it as best as I can next year.
I've heard good things about NESBA but haven't been to any of their days. If you get a chance and have the time, try two consecutive days. It's great fun and you basically start Day 2 where you left off on Day 1 and that can lead to a lot more improvement on the track than a couple of days a month or more apart.

I've never been to VIR but really want to go there because most everyone I know has been there and liked it a lot. Barber's at the top of my wish list. I'm thinking about a doing a California Superbike School there next year to try the track out and play around on a S1000RR for a couple days.

·
Registered
91 Posts
one more vote to track the RC....

just took my SP1 to chucKwalla last november, I LOVE IT.. .It is heavier then my old R1, but all that torque is a lot of fun.....:D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL, you guys should hear some of my co-workers trying to convince me against tracking the RC51. I even had one of our customers come through and offer me a '99 R6 race bike for a really tempting price. They had me thinking, but whatever, track skins are already ordered. I'm planning on some Bridgestone BT-003s. I've tried them as take-offs and they felt pretty great on the street so I figure they'll be great at the track. I can't believe it's only December... Fuckin northeast...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just tracked my 2006 pristine RC51, and loved it. I however don't want to take the chance on trashing my bike. I am having a hard time finding sp-2 bikes that are already track ready "in my price range" My friend has a GSXR-750 that he keeps pushing me towards. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I just bought a GSXR750(06) for a track only bike.
still have my RC51 and bought a 1000rr(04) to use as a daily rider

1 - 20 of 34 Posts