RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start at the beginning. I bought the bike about nine months ago with less than 7k on the clock. The seller had it sitting for a few years with no use, so it didn't start. He told me he had the bike on the track and the muffler flew off the pipe because of too much back pressure. It's the Jardine 2 into 1 system with a carbon fiber pipe. Had no batting in the pipe. Had the power commander on it, don't know which setting it was running.

When I got the bike home, I took out the power commander, charged the battery and put new rivets in newly drilled holes in the muffler and new batting. Bike started right up.

Rode it this way probably a few times a month every month since, probably a total of 20 rides since I got it. Bike ran fine, did not make any funny noises, didn't seem to run rich or lean, just fine.

Last week, I took it out on a short ride when noticed it ran very different at a stop light. It was much louder and revved funny. When I got to my destination, I saw that the new rivets came completely out, they cut the carbon fiber pipe clean to come out. Luckily, the pipe did not fly out.

Does anyone here have the 2-1 Jardine system? How are you running it? Any good advice will be greatly appreciated.

I was going to download the specific mapping from dynojet, but they do not have mapping for the jardine systems. They do have one for the 2-1 Erion Racing mapping. Should I try it?

Again, please reply if you can help with good info, or with good experience running this pipe and please stay on topic. TIA

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
the jardine carbon cans are hot garbage. you can see how burned and ruined your sleeve is on this pipe. the exhaust pressure on a big v-twin is very high, and the rc51 is very hard on carbon cans (with duals!), a single gets a complete shit kicking.

throw it in the garbage and get a titanium can. the jardine 2-1 header outlet is 57mm. you may have trouble finding a can in that size. but 60mm is very common. you can fit a titanium 60mm canister with a simple 60-57mm bushing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've had my dual carbon Jardine's for almost 15 years and they've been fine. The burn mark on that can is from running it with blown packing. The heat from the exhaust burns away the resin and there's nothing to support the carbon fibers any more. I've watched it happen in front on me on a dyno.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the jardine carbon cans are hot garbage. you can see how burned and ruined your sleeve is on this pipe. the exhaust pressure on a big v-twin is very high, and the rc51 is very hard on carbon cans (with duals!), a single gets a complete shit kicking.
throw it in the garbage and get a titanium can. the jardine 2-1 header outlet is 57mm. you may have trouble finding a can in that size. but 60mm is very common. you can fit a titanium 60mm canister with a simple 60-57mm bushing.
Thanks for the advice. Will consider it if no other better solutions come from other members.

I've had my dual carbon Jardine's for almost 15 years and they've been fine. The burn mark on that can is from running it with blown packing. The heat from the exhaust burns away the resin and there's nothing to support the carbon fibers any more. I've watched it happen in front on me on a dyno.
The burn mark is a hanging helmets outer plastic trim melting, nothing more. The absence of packing did not change the carbon fiber visibly. Comparing a single system to a dual is like comparing apples and oranges, not a direct or fair comparison and is not helpful at all to my situation.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For one thing , you've got to pack the muffler , but first I'd cut the carbon sleeve off behind the holes and shorten the core an equal amount.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For one thing , you've got to pack the muffler , but first I'd cut the carbon sleeve off behind the holes and shorten the core an equal amount.
Actually, first, you should read my first post more closely. I did repack the exhaust with new batting. But what is it if not back pressure? You're still not answering the question. The cutting is something I already planned on doing, but I don't want to rush to do it if the result will be the same. Rather wait and hear about a solution from someone who had the same/similar problem.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I saw no packing in your picture , that's why I mentioned it. The packing should be full length and tight , or it won't last.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
How do you get back pressure at the inlet on a straight through system?
The sleeve blew off because of bad/burnt packing and the well known fact that carbon fibre sleeves just don't work well on these bikes. I don't have 2/1 but I've had a carbon can burn out exactly like yours did. Nothing to do with any perceived back pressure.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have a modified Akrapovic 2-1 system on my bike and have used Ti and carbon Akra cans, they are 60mm in and out but need repacking every year

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
i think it's just the heat and a pulse frequency through the exhaust tract. the twin has very large but more staggered exhaust pulses so it probably damages packing more quickly than a smoother flow from a multicylinder engine. so i don't think it's back pressure per se, i think it's just the change in pressure (dp/dt?) that the packing has to deal with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you want to keep that exhaust, cut the "cans" 1/2" shorter with a dremel, and grind (don't use drill bit) new holes. Lots of you tube videos on shortening a can. Make an internal ring from 1/16" aluminum strip, with rivet holes that line up with the holes in the carbon, and the outer cap. The rivets interfacing and swaging against that thin carbon are not such a good design. Buy rivets from Akopovich as they are much better quality than the stuff you get at the hardware store.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i think it's just the heat and a pulse frequency through the exhaust tract. the twin has very large but more staggered exhaust pulses so it probably damages packing more quickly than a smoother flow from a multicylinder engine. so i don't think it's back pressure per se, i think it's just the change in pressure (dp/dt?) that the packing has to deal with.
+1

I run a Jardine Ti 2-1 and the carbon can I had on it didn't last 6 months. I currently run a Yoshimura TRC can and it hasn't given me any trouble. I should note my RC is a daily driver so she gets a lot of exposure to the elements and the entire RPM range in all types of weather.

Hope this is helpful

1 - 15 of 15 Posts