RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning to do a track day with a few buddies in a couple of months. I am in the process of purchasing full leather gear. I have been riding a long time but I'm still fairly new to sport bikes. I am wandering if bringing a 1000CC super sport to the track for a first day is a bad idea or if I should hold out and purchase a 600cc something or another. I do want to do a rebuild on this bike it has some previous crash damage. I do not want to bring it to the track if I rebuild it incase I do happen to go down. I am thinking if I decide I like track days I am probably going to get a dedicated track bike. So should I hold off on the track day or go for it?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Go for it, just don't treat your first track day like it's a race. The amount you learn on the track will amaze you. Do not "try" to go fast or worry about keeping up with anyone and you will have a great time. Pick some one who you know has got to be slower than you (like a 250 ninja or something lol) and follow them. Then you can concentrate on being smooth and not worry too much about the speeds.

What track are you going to?

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
yeah definitely do it. just take it easy and learn. once you get your RC all fixed up and pristine, then go get another one for the track......or you could always just buy a set of race fairings for the track.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Go ahead and take the plunge. You will be hooked once you have experienced the track. Take your time and concentrate on being smooth. Ask a lot of questions and post them here as you should get a lot of feedback. Talk to your control riders and ask advice from them while at the track.

Take the RC and enjoy it. If you like it on the track, get some race fairings or find a dedicated track bike.

Getting a knee down and picking up the pace will happen over time so don't push it your first time out. I've seen too many people go and try to set the track record first time at the track only to load their wadded bike and head home before the day is done.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
It's a track day. Who cares if you're first, last, or in the middle?
I would have no problem being the anchor man of any group.
Go slowly and hone your skills. That's what it's all about.
Think of it like going to the park. Have fun, enjoy the day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Definitely go for it, you will have a great time. Just take all of the above advice and go there with an open mind, learn, and don't try to be the fastest one because somebody with a V-rod or a 25 year old Goldwing will blow your doors off anyway. (ask me how I know) I'm headed out tomorrow for my 5th track day this summer, still in the novice instructional group, still slow by comparison, but I love every minute of it!

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Just do it!

Worry about wrecking the bike, medical insurance and racking up credit card bills later!:D

In all seriousness, make sure you have good medical insurance. Other than that, just get out there and have fun. Don't try to keep up with anyone, ride your own pace and only worry about yourself. Check your ego at the gate though. You'll be getting passed by riders of all kinds, 250's, 600's, old guys, young guys, maybe even a girl. If you really get into it, buy some track skins and you won't have to worry about crashing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts