RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't really posted much so far, so I thought I'd show some progress on my bank busting SP-1 project...
Feel free to criticize where appropriate!
Bought crash damaged...turned out a little more crashed then I was hoping...

I'll keep this updated if I remember/can be arsed!

Cheers for looking,

Dave

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More toil...

Gashed frame and threads ripped out of rearset mounts...

solution - Timeserts and ally heat curing enamel paint!

The swing'arm was just about untouched, but I wanted it polished and stiffened! Can't afford the SP-2 swingger swap! So where you see cardboard will be 3mm ally plate! I took as much off as possible to save on weight before I tacked it all together! I should have it seam welded and fully polished by Tuesday...should!

·
Registered
34 Posts
You have a lot of work ahead of you, but excellent work on the frame! How much did the swingarm gain on the reinforcements? Is it really that weak on the SP1?

Anyway, looking forward to see the result. Good luck!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cheers! The frame was a bit of a saga! The swing'arm is pretty beefy to begin with, but I little more strength won't hurt! And if I said I didn't do it because it looks better, that would just be a lie! Ha! But its welded back and front. I wouldn't like to guess by how much its gained! The pictures dont show it, but it was cracked from the crash. So it's definitely stiffer now!
Just need to polish it up, press some new bearings in and I'm good to go!

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
My hat's off to you. Quite the "Labors of Hercules" ahead of you. HOWEVER, you do seem up to the challenge based on what's already been accomplished. VERY BEST WISHES TO YOU...Keep us posted...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha! Let's just say I won't be going on holiday for a while...
Cheers! The swing'arms polished good! I'm just having issues lacquering it! I'll have some more pictures up by the weekend I hope!

Thanks for looking chaps!

·
Registered
422 Posts
How do u guys cleaning the engine so nice?...any chemical or polishing to make them clean?

·
Registered
422 Posts
tks mate...now i know how make engine looks like new....

·
Registered
142 Posts
nice project. i enjoy watching the progress of builds/rebuilds like this. and i agree, the swingarm looks darn good too.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Well you've certainly got a long term project in the works.
Good luck on the project.

Oddly enough, On the SP1 race bike, the swingarm was cut to lessen longitudinal stiffness and the upper ending mount bolt was removed due to too rigid frame.
When the throttle was opened, the swingarm and frame flexed to soften power delivery to the rear tire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This looks great.
I especially like the way you rejuvenated the frame. Great work there.
I'm also very interested to see how your swingarm turned out.
Keep up the great work.
Post up again when you get a chance.
Cheers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
**Update**
Sorry for flat lining people!
Erm...! crashed my R6! And my RS250 wasnt running right. So all 3 of my bikes were broken. But now that I've solved these issues I can focus on the SP again! hurah!

Swing'arms done(pictures to follow soon). Next is the shock linkage. Then repair the rads and oil cooler(I'm too tght to buy new!).

Untill then, here are some pics of my newly fixed R6 in action!!

Cheers all!

Dave

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Couple more before and after pics...

Shock linkage:

Damn you corrosion!!

Shiney smooth black!

more to come...

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Looks ecellent and keep up the good work.

One item, keep brake fluid away from that powder coating areound the brakes, they don't mix well.:D

1 - 20 of 238 Posts