RC51 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got some decent track time on the girl at PI...

A warm day, I started with to much pressure in the rear. In hindsight my selection of a soft rear (pilot race) was a mistake and I sould have gone medium front and rear. I just thought the low HP compared to modern a SBK would be easier on the rear tyre. Wrong!!!

Anyhow I started with 31-31. Came in after session 1 and pressures were 34-36!! Front looked ok but over hot. Rear was shredded!! Rang my tyre guy and he said target pressure hot should be 32-32 hot and to cold start 30-28.

I let some pressure out and went out again. When I came in the pressures were 32-34. Front was lookin' the biz and the back better so lowered the rear immediately to 32 hot.

The bike was handling on rails even with the rear tyre melting. My lap times are slow (high 1.50's) but this bike is beautifully balanced. It's transition on and off thottle is great, as are the brakes. Its best point is the steering!! It holds a line better than any other bike I have ridden and just goes where you look (point) it.

After the next session (that produced my best and most consistant times) the front was still lookin' great and the rear although still shedding rubber (a product of the soft compound I think) was balling beautifully and was a consistant colour.

I'm loving it....

Ita

·
Registered
422 Posts
If u used Power race 1....best front is V..& rear is B compund..tire pressure F28..R30 psi..cold...this is my setting...Track in Malaysia..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
From his autobiography, when asked what he thought about the RC51, Valentino Rossi (who owns one) said "it goes where you point it, and it slides well".
Rossi and Edwards won two Suzuka 8-hours races with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.