RC51 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the beginning of December I got a great deal on a 2000 RC51. It only has 12K KM on it and is in excellent condition. For the most part it is stock except for a PC2, Arata Ti pipes and SS brake lines. My initial plan was to ride it in the spring and decide whether I will keep it and sell my VFR or flip it. My intention for a second bike was to get a strictly track bike but I could not pass this up. I am not looking to do any competitive racing...just to get a few track days in next summer. Would I be better off selling a bike (RC51 or VFR) to buy a track ready 600 or should I just get some frame sliders and track plastic and use the RC51?

·
Registered
34 Posts
For budget reasons I agree with SubSailor, however I really enjoy the RC51 on the track, and it is much more suitable there than on the streets. I use mine for street and a number of track days each season.

·
Registered
863 Posts
If you get a 600, you'll pass damn near everyone on the track. 1000 inlines and vtwin for that matter.
This makes absolutely no sense.

I disagree with all of the above. The 51 was bred for track duty. A stock 51 with some suspension tuning is more suited for track then any 600 loaded with aftermarket parts.

How exactly is the 51 expensive to repair?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Well, to qualify my statement, I was just thinking of the relative scarceness of the RC51 versus the ocean of 600's out there and the cost of replacing some components.
I guess a part of me wants to preserve the RC51. There are so few of them compared to the 600's.

And most companies no longer make full race exhausts anymore for the RC51, so a loss there is a lengthy search for a hopeful replacement. And if the radiators are damaged (as mine was), there's that cost as well to fix or replace.

Last year I went through the routine to restore mine after the previous owner had an obvious low side. It wasn't a bad one, but the bodywork and radiator and related parts added up quick.
So if you're only using it for track days, then the cost comparison probably equals out.

I agree about the RC51 being a great track bike. It was what it was designed for, and I would rather ride it than a 600. That's why twins appeal to me more than I-4's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Akabek,
You said it yourself...you don't want to do competitive racing and you want to do a few track days to have fun. No Problem then. If you got the RC for such a great deal, do like me and keep both. (I too have a VFR-06) and an RC.
Track days are all about enjoying some of the pleasures that life has to offer without the pressure of competition. Sure a more nimble, lighter, just as powerful late model 600
could be quicker, but it really should not matter.
Last year during one of my track days, in between sessions, the sweet sound of a couple of RC51's
thumping around the track caught my attention. I was like...oh man
when I grow up I want an RC51 !
So guess what...no more 600 and next summer I will live my dream !
Proof reading this...sounds a bit dramatic but you know what, life is short guys, so if
you have an urge to ride a cool bike around a track...that urge should carry more weight
than a second or two less per lap on a bike that doesn't really turn your crank.
simple

·
Registered
34 Posts
Akabek,
You said it yourself...you don't want to do competitive racing and you want to do a few track days to have fun. No Problem then. If you got the RC for such a great deal, do like me and keep both. (I too have a VFR-06) and an RC.
Track days are all about enjoying some of the pleasures that life has to offer without the pressure of competition. Sure a more nimble, lighter, just as powerful late model 600
could be quicker, but it really should not matter.
Last year during one of my track days, in between sessions, the sweet sound of a couple of RC51's
thumping around the track caught my attention. I was like...oh man
when I grow up I want an RC51 !
So guess what...no more 600 and next summer I will live my dream !
Proof reading this...sounds a bit dramatic but you know what, life is short guys, so if
you have an urge to ride a cool bike around a track...that urge should carry more weight
than a second or two less per lap on a bike that doesn't really turn your crank.
simple

Excellent post man, I plan on taking my newly purchased mint 01 RC to a couple track days this year.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha, I wanted an RC51 before I ever heard one. I like vehicles that are less common or unique. The first time I saw one up close or heard one is the day I bought my RC51 4 weeks ago. I can't wait for that first sunny day.

The concern I have with tracking my RC51 is dropping it. It is in really nice shape and low mileage. My original intention was to find a well used RC51 for the track but I came across this bike. Going to the track is strictly for my enjoyment. I have no plans to take the checkered flag.

Is your RC51 is good shape? Did you install frame sliders on it or are you taking your chances?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I used to race 400cc & 600cc back 1998-2004..Those are my race bikes...
Then quit on sportbikes & ride race on Supermoto until i saw 1, 00 model wz race endurance style fairing...sold the DRZ Sm & get the V twin...
I can say this bike is difficult to ride on street..but best on track...
Even with the new inline 4 , 1000 or 600...it depend on the riders...i have pass some newbee riders on track with my 10yrs V twin...
Im telling u, it makes me HAPPY when i pass all the new bikes...& best parts...people will come to u asking the bike...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is your RC51 is good shape? Did you install frame sliders on it or are you taking your chances?[/QUOTE]

Well, my recently acquired 2000 RC51 is a salvaged bike, a bit rough around the edges (AKA character) with some scrapes, bit of damage to plastics here & there, dents on the Hindle high mount race pipes etc. I think it's great, for what I could afford ! Non "mint"ness does not bother me at all, perhaps because I have a "mint" '06 Viffer sitting right beside it.

I can see where you may be hesitant to track it if it is in really good shape but I did not let that bother me when I tracked my then, three month old VFR at Calabogie track two years ago. Same with years back, doing auto track days with my 5.0 Mustang at Mosport, Tremblant, Watkins Glen & a few other tracks. Hell I even shared it with my buddy running in different run groups on the same days on abovementiond tracks.
My opinion: It's a machine that can be repaired or replaced. Memories of awesome experiences last forever.
With a bigger budget, a clean '05 would see track time just as quickly as far as I am concerned.
I must acknowledge the guys on this forum that hold this bike to a higher level due to it's limited number / rarity and I respect that.
Bottom line, do only what you are comfortable with. Don't let ANYONE convince you otherwise...because you simply won't get the full enjoyment out of it.

And yes, as soon as my friend digs out the frame sliders he bought for this bike a while back before he sold it to me, I'll install them ( hint, hint if you are reading this, good ol pal o'mine ....:rolleyes: )
I think frame sliders installed in a set of fairings outweighs possible rash AND an expensive to replace crunched-up rad.
I'll be nervous as hell the first couple of laps, but I can't wait until my first track day !

·
Registered
422 Posts
Lets track it....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with everything You guys say but I want to preserve mine for future generations to look at and enjoy as much as i do.Mine went from Race n' Show to Show n' Go.I have plenty of So. Rockies with winding roads up to 14,000 feet, no traffic, 2 lanes,spectacular views. As good as it gets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Purchased a pristine 2004 (3100 miles on it) with showroom condition Nicky plastic on it but plan to do track days with NESBA on it. The SV 650's I tracked were fun, but this should be a real treat. So far, have purchased, repaired and painted used and abused plastics and now only need a smashed up gas tank. Can't wait to see VIR or Barber this spring on a new to me bike. At my age, track days are the only thrill I look forward to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts