RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been a long time for me and I was wondering what arw the choice in tires out there now ? What are some preferences. Do these new race/Street tires really give you the option to ride both track and street? Very skeptical about that one. 10 years ago I really enjoyed the r10 for track use and rode on Michelin tires on the street. But I never rode track tires on the street. Interested in hearing some opinions on these things . I should day I purchased a couple of sets of the rs11 to try out we will see.

·
Registered
2002 RC51
223 Posts
Looked hard at q3+ and q4.

Were out of stock everywhere when I ordered so I went Michelin Power GP's with a 190/55.. I used to love the old school pilot powers!!

Been awesome so far but haven't made it to a track day yet..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looked hard at q3+ and q4.

Were out of stock everywhere when I ordered so I went Michelin Power GP's with a 190/55.. I used to love the old school pilot powers!!

Been awesome so far but haven't made it to a track day yet..
I use to love the old Michelin powers myself and have never been a huge fan of Dunlop but it sounds like I'll have to give them a try . I think thats what I have on the rc now .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what came on my aprilia I thing and they are sticky even when not totally warm but that center wears so fast. I have under 1k miles and I can already see a decent flat spot. The pirelli SC was an awesome track/race tire but so expensive. But hey I guess you get what you pay for right .

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Pirelli's are good. Ran them on my 675R and like them alot. For the street i've been sticking with Metzler and have been very happy with them so far. M9RR for the RC and previously ran M3's on the CBR.

I previously ran Dunlop Q3's and various Michelin's through the years. My new KTM came with Power Cup 2's, which are amazing, but wouldn't last very long on the RC. I'm a pretty low mileage rider these days so the high wear rate isn't a huge deal for me......that being said the Power Cup's are REALLY good.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just got back from a nice little ride on the ape the tires on there are pirelli Diablo supercorsa SC. Pushed them a bit well as much as you can on the street that is and was pleasantly surprised . I ordered 2 sets of bridgestone rs11s last night. And the rc is on q4s I think so I'll run both bikes with the tires on there now at the track and if anything I'll have them swapped if I don't like them . All set for June 3-4 at t-hill if any of my Cali people are going hit me up !

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
edit: posted elsewhere

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
not sure how relevant this is, but i've been using pirelli diablo supercorsa sc1 front sc2 rear for a very long time. probably 10 years or better.

my next set for the rc51 are going to be rosso corsa v2.

the sc in my opinion is amazing for track days, but unless that's what you prioritize they really shouldn't be first pick for a bike that spends a good amount of time on the road.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not sure how relevant this is, but i've been using pirelli diablo supercorsa sc1 front sc2 rear for a very long time. probably 10 years or better.

my next set for the rc51 are going to be rosso corsa v2.

the sc in my opinion is amazing for track days, but unless that's what you prioritize they really shouldn't be first pick for a bike that spends a good amount of time on the road.
Yeah the SC1 , 2 , 3, 0 Co pounds I believe are track only . 10 years ago I had 2 sets of wheels per bike . One street one track. I feel eventually ill have to go back to that but the hyper sport tires of today show alot of promise. For use on both street and track . I'll be doing write ups on the various tire set ups I try out . Maybe it'll help someone that has the same question I'm having now .

·
Registered
199 Posts
I found the Q3 and Q4 to take quite awhile to warm up on the street, and prefer the S22's since they are good within a few corners. Not that I haul ass right away, but have had a few slips, either morning riding to work, or when they were not fully warmed. The S22's also they last longer, and are better if you cross any water on your ride. They might not be as sticky all out, but I have punished many sets from edge to edge and they have never let me down. Also they were $250 a set, now around $300. For track days I have another set of wheels with slicks since summer time is a big mix of track days and street rides.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@RC51V-2 can I ask what slicks you like?

I've never ventured into that realm, soo many different opinions

Sorry to hijack the thread here..
I'm curious too . It's been a long time since I used slicks but back in the day the pirelli slicks were my favorite just a little pricey so I wound up going to bridgestone slicks with the v front tire and that wound up being a pretty good tire admittedly not as sticky as the pirelli but a whole lot cheaper. Sounds like I'll have to try those s22 tires.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use the Dunlop slicks. They have a stiffer carcass than the pirellis, and are more forgiving at the limit. They give you a little warning before they let go, whereas the pirelis just seem to grip, and let go with out any clues. The pirellis might have more stick, but are more money, and I'm not setting any track records!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Michelin Road 5 is what I’ve got on nearly all my sport bikes; Buell X1, CB919, z1000, RC51. I just had the RC at a Thunder Hill in northern ca, they handled the track great dry and wet. The morning was thunderstorms with an afternoon of sun. I push all the bikes pretty hard track and street and have never had issues with the Road 5’s.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Michelin Road 5 is what I’ve got on nearly all my sport bikes; Buell X1, CB919, z1000, RC51. I just had the RC at a Thunder Hill in northern ca, they handled the track great dry and wet. The morning was thunderstorms with an afternoon of sun. I push all the bikes pretty hard track and street and have never had issues with the Road 5’s.
Nice I've always been a Michelin fan use to love the 2cts for street . I'll be at thunderhill on the 4th and 5th next month and wanted to take the rc out. West track I haven't ridden that only ever ridden the full course back in the day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts