RC51 Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yesterday I dropped a load of money on 5 rear Pirelli SC2/SC1 for different track temps and surfaces. I was told the SC1 works great and last a good amount of time when there is a layer of rubber laid down. I also bought a front SC2. I’m not very hard on my front tires, so they last a good while. I will go through a couple of rear tires every weekend. But the Pirellis stick and I was able to drop my lap times by a couple of seconds.
Last year I used the Metzler TD slicks to start the season. They work incredibly great. Lots of grip and feedback. I had no issues with them once I figured out how to set the pressures correctly with tire warmers.
I did switch to Pirelli slicks part way through the year since I was running much faster. I was spinning the Metzeler out of the corners on hot days at a pretty decent lap time. They remained very predictable even when spinning.
The Metzeler TD is a great tire for track days with or without tire warmers, especially if you are not pushing for a podium position on the hottest day of summer. I have one extra one to sell if anyone is interested in trying it. They are cheaper than most other slicks and are a great tire to transition into trying slicks for the first time with out having to do a lot of suspension changes.
At this stage of my racing, I cant imagine running a street tire. Most race bikes I see are on slicks. Nearly everyone uses tire warmers. It may be different for track day events.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
I ran Battlax front and rear for years (DOT street/sport), the last set strictly track use. I loved them, great hot and warm weather, very good in cool and wet both. Excellent feedback and did everything I asked of them in a DOT given I didn't want to go with slicks and rains (cost and swap time both issues for me). I spend lots of time in iffy weather in this God forsaken land of Alberta. Tried a set of Mitas Sportforce the last two seasons and they were fine in the hot and dry, but never had the need to test them in the wet so I never felt 100% convinced they were all round capable. This season I'm on Pirelli Super Corsas but haven't been out yet. I always run warmers too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I ran Battlax front and rear for years (DOT street/sport), the last set strictly track use. I loved them, great hot and warm weather, very good in cool and wet both. Excellent feedback and did everything I asked of them in a DOT given I didn't want to go with slicks and rains (cost and swap time both issues for me). I spend lots of time in iffy weather in this God forsaken land of Alberta. Tried a set of Mitas Sportforce the last two seasons and they were fine in the hot and dry, but never had the need to test them in the wet so I never felt 100% convinced they were all round capable. This season I'm on Pirelli Super Corsas but haven't been out yet. I always run warmers too.
Well I'll try as many kinds as I can and review them on here lol. Have pirellis on the ape , q4s on the 03 rc, and I have a few sets of rs11s for the 00 rc and maybe the 05 1000rr depending if i get it finished in time to get her on track this year. First track day is the 4th and 5th of June at thill

21 - 24 of 24 Posts