RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did a 322 Mile trip on the Mille R on Saturday. Went south to Trinidad then took the Highway of Legends North to Walsenberg and back to the Springs. Byway was really cool, a lot of interesting things too see, some decent twisities, and some great history too. Most of the points in the area are named by Spanish Conquistadors in 1539. There have been Archaelogical digs in the area that have found a bunch of artifacts too, including spanish armor, hasty forts and firearm pieces. There were at least 2 expeditions in the area. Both ended with most of the explorers being killed by local tribes or each other (Ute). Anyway here's some pics from the ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Man, that's some serious scenery - nice pics (and bike!). :)

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Is this payback for the Megadeth pictures......this is truely cruel.:mad::eek::D

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Was a nice ride, except for the 20-30 MPH wind gusts. i was getting blasted from the side, enough to have me hanging off one side. Definitely limited my pace, but was still fun.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
When I read the thread title I thought you'd taken the little 2 stroke on a trip! :)
Looks like a nice scenic ride. Thanks for posting pics.
The Mille looks good too... tried to persuade my friend to buy one, but he missed it!
Still trying to entice him to spend the money on a V-twin (Except a Ducati! :D).

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahahaha, the wind was pretty bad.....if i had been on th 2 stroke i would have been ploughinf through fields next to the highway and probably ended up going into the woods on the scenic route a few times.....not to mention just making it down there.

yeah, the Mille's are pretty awesome. Mine has quite a bit of work. i almost traded it in a few weeks ago for a Husqvarna 510 Supermoto....i was given a really good trade in value for it and everything. i just couldn't do it. The RSV is here to stay.

haha come on Ducati's are nice. I'd take a 998/999 in a hearteat. still love the 916, 996, and the 1098 too.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
An old friend from school & riding buddy has a Mille Factory, not sure of the model but one of the last, which he got after riding my SP2 on a visit to Japan. Last time I visited their family home a few years ago he had a Hussaberg (FS 570?) sitting in his garage which I kinda fell in love with right there....
Until he explained that although it was monster fun to ride, you wouldn't want more than 20 minutes at a time. Then when he mentioned the engine had a life of 20 hours before needing a refresh, I started to think... er, maybe not!
Amazing machine though. Super trick & lightweight - and ever since then I've always been on the lookout for a cheap supermoto, maybe I'd prefer a 2 stroke though... :D

My friend eventually sold his Hussaberg and bought a KTM (Not seen it so no idea what it is) which was a little heavier but easier to ride & maintain...

Some cheap old KTM's are sometimes available with lowish mileage that I've been tempted by. Premix fuel, but only for short trips anyways...
Trouble is, as parents of small kids - when do we get time to properly get to play with yet more toys ourselves?! :D

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An old friend from school & riding buddy has a Mille Factory, not sure of the model but one of the last, which he got after riding my SP2 on a visit to Japan. Last time I visited their family home a few years ago he had a Hussaberg (FS 570?) sitting in his garage which I kinda fell in love with right there....
Until he explained that although it was monster fun to ride, you wouldn't want more than 20 minutes at a time. Then when he mentioned the engine had a life of 20 hours before needing a refresh, I started to think... er, maybe not!
Amazing machine though. Super trick & lightweight - and ever since then I've always been on the lookout for a cheap supermoto, maybe I'd prefer a 2 stroke though... :D

My friend eventually sold his Hussaberg and bought a KTM (Not seen it so no idea what it is) which was a little heavier but easier to ride & maintain...

Some cheap old KTM's are sometimes available with lowish mileage that I've been tempted by. Premix fuel, but only for short trips anyways...
Trouble is, as parents of small kids - when do we get time to properly get to play with yet more toys ourselves?! :D
Yeah, i hear ya. i haven't been able to touch the RC in quite awhile. I'm lucky if i get a ride in once a week. But if thats the sacrifice i have to make for my kids, i'm ok with that. Hope all is well with you and your family Stig. Need to shoot you an email and catch up, its been awhile.:)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thats one sexy steed!(the bike of course):rolleyes: How dose it compare to your RC? Fit & finish, ergonomics? 300 plus miles it must be pretty cush:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats one sexy steed!(the bike of course):rolleyes: How dose it compare to your RC? Fit & finish, ergonomics? 300 plus miles it must be pretty cush:cool:
Thanks Torque. Hard to say. in stock form the Ape would hand the RC its ass....but thats because its got ohlins and brembos. Power is similar. The Ape dives into corners and seems a bit higher. The RC feels more raw and sits lower. My Ape has a lot of work though, larger throttle bodies etc. so its really hard to compare. Build quality is awesome on the Aprilia and the maintenance intervals etc are about the same too. The rotax motors are bulletproof. They each have their strong points etc. both amazing twins. Not cush at all.....i was in pain for 300 miles and since the Ape is my "commuter/touring" bike, i need to buy a sargent seat. It was the first long ride i've done on it, and it was not enjoyable. The seat should fix it though.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
No worries gts455. I'm sure many of us know just how it is...
I don't even get to ride more than twice a month now.... and that's usually on a highway or straigh-ish roads only!

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Thanks Torque. Hard to say. in stock form the Ape would hand the RC its ass....but thats because its got ohlins and brembos. Power is similar. The Ape dives into corners and seems a bit higher. The RC feels more raw and sits lower. My Ape has a lot of work though, larger throttle bodies etc. so its really hard to compare. Build quality is awesome on the Aprilia and the maintenance intervals etc are about the same too. The rotax motors are bulletproof.
ooh that hurts man, sounds to me like you prefer the ape

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no not at all. i will say this.....despite how much better the bike is in stock form, i always had more fun on the RC. If that were true, i would not be dumping the huge amounts of cash on the RC. Once tuned een a little bit, the RC iscompletely different. with some ohlins etc. the RC is way more fun.

You should see my rant on the Aprilia forum. Morpheus from this forum, was on there too. i think some Ape guys might actually try to go buy a RC now.

Both bikes are awesome and very special to me.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
No worries gts455. I'm sure many of us know just how it is...
I don't even get to ride more than twice a month now.... and that's usually on a highway or straigh-ish roads only!
Stig, you want to see straight? Come over here and ride my roads. Takes me 5 hours to get to where there any real biking roads:(

GTS, that's an interesting take on the RSV. It was on my short list when I picked up my SP, but nowhere near the top. I didn't realize the servicing was similar to ours either, that's a nice plus. I wouldn't like my SP as much if it didn't have the Corbin on it either.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Stig, you want to see straight? Come over here and ride my roads. Takes me 5 hours to get to where there any real biking roads:(
Aw, that sucks... Was away last weekend in the family SUV and it was worse! :mad:
After a 200km drive we found ourselves amazing roads with endless turns that go all the way up & through a 2300m mountain elevation. Well over 100km of winding forest & mountain roads ahead going through pretty villages, etc.
Lots of bikers enjoying the cool mountain air and great roads. Me... in a 2.5 ton 4WD Diesel 7 seater... :eek:
As I drove, I kept thinking of what it would be like in a properly sorted sports car, or the RC51...Thing is, I probably won't get the chance before Sept to go back there. Then it freezes and all starts to become a winter sports resort till May!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts