RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I testing this thermo switch right?
I checked calibration of the mulitmeter, it works properly.

The motor oil is heated up to 185F degrees.

I tested my original switch last night, it showed open circuit. So I figured it just went bad.
Went to the dealer and picked up a new switch today, got home and tested it. I got open circuit again.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
John, you won't read anything at the 2k scale you have your dial on.
Use the 200 Ohm scale instead.(one click counterclockwise)
Does it read anything on that?

And dip the thermoswitch all the way in including the threaded part.

You can use water too......temp is temp on any heated agent you use

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Extrap, but he's testing a temp sensor, not a temp switch.

My temp switch is out of my 79 Goldwing, but same idea as the SP1's. A sensor to convey temp info to the guage (and ECU), and a seperate temp switch to complete a power source for the fan.
It's the temp switch I'm trying to determine if it's working.

I heated the oil up to 230F.
Then I tested both old and new thermo switch again.
Set to 2K Ohms, and I also tried 200.
As expected, both switches show an open circuit when cold.
But where I'm stumped is that even when put into the hot oil, they both still indicate an open circuit.
I don't know if my old switch is good, but I would expect the new switch to show continuity when dipped into oil that's well above the 220F.

EDIT: According to the Haynes manual, the switch should show continuity once temp hits 208 - 215F degrees.
Going to get a known good temp switch I have in the parts bin and test it. Then I'll try testing these two switches again. If I still get no continuity readings from the new switch, I guess I'll take it back to Honda...

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, today I took the new switch back to Honda, they happened to have one more in stock. So they just exchanged it for me.
The first new switch was definitely bad.
The new one they gave me today tested out out exactly as it should.
I used antifreeze so I could get the water temp up to about 225-230F degrees.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
How is the 'wing coming along?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ I'm finally motivated again to get it done. I cleaned and overhauled the carbs, got the waterpump and housing al ready to put back on, just waiting for a seal and o-ring. Now I'm going thru all the electrical, and need to get the rear wheel and final drive put back together. Fill all the fluids, then she should be ready to fire up for the first time in several years.
I'm hoping to be at that point in about a month...

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
^ I'm finally motivated again to get it done. I cleaned and overhauled the carbs, got the waterpump and housing al ready to put back on, just waiting for a seal and o-ring. Now I'm going thru all the electrical, and need to get the rear wheel and final drive put back together. Fill all the fluids, then she should be ready to fire up for the first time in several years.
I'm hoping to be at that point in about a month...
Well I hope there are more pictures of the bike and assembly stories rather than watching you try to fry a temperature sensor in canola oil.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts