RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been meaning to post about this for some time now, but keep forgetting :D

I have a Turn One air box fitted and mapped in, but occasionally I get a bit of a bang in the air box , like a back fire kind of sound. It only happens occasionally and at slow speeds. Im just wondering if its over fueling at slow speed and the unburnt fuel is igniting in the air box....cause thats what it sounds/feels like.

Has anyone else with this style of air box experienced this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
ive got one,but never experenced that!!! you do however get the odd wiff of fuel/oil with them

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I still have the OEM airbox fitted (for now) and I have rarely experiences a pop back into the airbox.
If the right circumstances occur, mainly at low RPM and light throttle opening, the intake pulses can combine and pop back into the airbox.

It only happened once on my RC51 while stuck in slow traffic.
However I used to own a '00 Buell X1 with their early DDIS FI, and it happened a lot.
Even to the point it killed the engine.

The intake backfire basically disturbed the flow enough to flame out the engine.
Damn near got run over while trying to restart it in the middle of an intersection.
The '03 XB9R I bought had the newer DDIS and it hardly ever happened.

I would think the SP1's would experience this effect less than the SP2's due to the SP1's smaller intake diameter which promotes higher intake velocity and less flow stagnation at lower RPMs.

Usually backfires are usually caused by a lean condition, not a rich condition.
That's why you get backfiring in the exhaust prior to remapping for a richer fuel ratio.

·
Registered
24 Posts
By looking at your picture, i'm presuming that you have an SP-1.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
If it is an SP-1, you may want to try adding a long velocity stack to your front cylinder. The same as the one on the rear cylinder.
I did this with mine a little while after i installed the Turnone airbox, and after i had it dynoed and re-mapped, found that a lot of the snatchiness and back firing had all but disappeared.
By the way, i had a great time in Southampton a few years ago. Great place.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The Turn-One/Durbahn airboxes provide for a lot more airbox volume.
Most, if not all, recent bikes have airboxes so well designed from the factory that there is little improvement to change to a different airbox design.
However the RC51 is not one of those, and does respond to an airbox with larger volume.
The Turn-One/Durbahn units provide huge airbox volume for the engine compared to stock.

Either airboxes fill the entire area between the frame spars using the fuel tank bottom as the "top" of the airbox. The airbox overlaps the frame spars using foam rubber seals that mate with the edges of the fuel tank.
A molded piece is glued to the fuel tank front near the mount to complete the seal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts