RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
what are these going for these days? saw one go over christmas on ebay for 455. good deal?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The SP2 has additional stiffening gussets welded near the steering head that the SP1 doesn't have.
The Turn-One SP2 airbox is molded to fit around these gussets.
Also the intake ports of either SP1 and SP2 are the same, so that's why the SP2 Turn-One airbox will also fit the SP1.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Doesnt Ben have one on RC51parts.com? I cant check his sites been messed up last couple days.... but im pretty sure last look he had one!

·
Registered
728 Posts
no he also had a turn one carbon one not too long ago... I was thinking about snatching it up. I have a fiberglass one but I think I may go with a squidskins air box so I can use the ETI fuel cell! Or maybe i will go with the squidskins CF gas tank... will see once I get my bike on the track!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
no he also had a turn one carbon one not too long ago... I was thinking about snatching it up. I have a fiberglass one but I think I may go with a squidskins air box so I can use the ETI fuel cell! Or maybe i will go with the squidskins CF gas tank... will see once I get my bike on the track!!!
Just a few notes on the SquidSkins airbox I received.
1) The clamps for the top cover were junk. I removed them and was planning on replacement them with draw latches.
2) I was told that the airbox was similar to the Moriwaki airbox, but no removal of the thermostat was required. That was incorrect.
It DOES require removal of the thermostat due to the lower right portion sticking down into that area. Something I'm not going to do for the street.
3) The mounting holes to fit over the intake runners on the heads were incorrectly sized. They were larger than the throttle body intakes.
4) No air filtration system is designed into the airbox. Some air filtration method would need to be fabricated.

Items 1 and 4 were an inconvenience.
Items 2 and 3 were deal breakers.

Unless his manufacturing quality standards improve, I can't recommend the S.S. airbox.
I recommend either using a Turn-One airbox, the OEM airbox, or a modified OEM airbox for use with OEM fuel tank or ETI fuel cell.

Since I already have a Turn-One airbox, I'll be doing some test fittings to see what can be done to mate it with my ETI fuel cell.
At the very worst, I'll either modify my OEM airbox or just reinstall it.
I still lose 7 lbs of top-end weight with the fuel cell alone, which is not bad.
If I get the T-O airbox to fit the ETI fuel cell, then I'll lose 10 lbs of top-end weight, which is really good.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
cool, i tried looking to see if Scotts had anything awhile ago but looked like they were out. i will have to check again. Was also thinking about Durbahn since thats where the original turn one airbox design came from, but they are pretty expensive coming from Germany. i figure i should do it now while the bike is a part and new exhaust/pcIII is going on as well. might as well get it all tuned in once.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Emailed Scotts, will let you know what they say.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Does anyone think that the Carbon snorkel may be to brittle to support the front stay. with the headlights and so forth, or is the the carbon snorkel built up to handle this and or more?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts