RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey up!

I've got a question that I can't find the answer to. What tyre size is right? On my Sp1 it says on the swing arm (by the way, only had the bike a week) 130 on the front and a 180 on the rear yet my bike has a 120 on the front with a 190 on the rear. I can understand why you would want a bigger rear but how come no one sticks to the recommended tyre size? Surely Honda know what the bike should run!! Help?:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
120/70-17 is what the front calls for, 190/50-17 for the rear. A lot of people run a 190/55-17 for improved handling.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
.... On my Sp1 it says on the swing arm (by the way, only had the bike a week) 130 on the front and a 180 on the rear yet my bike has a 120 on the front with a 190 on the rear........
I find it very strange, Honda indicates such tire sizes on the bike's swingarm, while suggesting different sizes on the service manual.

Could you upload a picture of that swingarm indication of yours?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Either you misread the label, or it's the wrong label for the bike.

190/50 for the rear and 120/70 for the front.
Haven't ever heard of using a different size on the front...

Some guys will run a 180/55 or a 190/55 on the rear. You get a little taller profile, and a better contact patch, especially with the 190/55.
Many on this forum , myself included, run the 190/55 on the back.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Im running the 190/55 on the back now and love it. Not to get off subject to far but has anyone tried a 200 series yet, would it be beneficial to handling or hurt it? i think it would look pretty good but i dont want to sacrifice handling for looks.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Im running the 190/55 on the back now and love it. Not to get off subject to far but has anyone tried a 200 series yet, would it be beneficial to handling or hurt it? i think it would look pretty good but i dont want to sacrifice handling for looks.
SubSailor spoke in depth about that. I wish I could remember which one of the hundred or so tire threads it's on.
As I remember, his consensus was it would take away more than it would add.

·
Registered
317 Posts
SubSailor spoke in depth about that. I wish I could remember which one of the hundred or so tire threads it's on.
Thanks for the info man looks like the 190 55 is the best option out there IMO

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
A 200 would have clearance issues if I remember correctly. (front of swing arm/rear hugger, if using one.)

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Done!

FWIW, I only run 180/55 Bridgestone R10's or Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa's on my 51.....

.......because that's what's piling up in the basement and trailer from the race bike!:D
And they still have plenty of center tread probably?
The opposite of street tires where the centers are usually worn with tons of sidewall left.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome replies, thanks everyone. Cleared it up for me. Going to run 190 55 and 120s May go Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs or maybe a bridgestone of some description....

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
......Going to run 190 55 .......
Bare in mind that the 16/40 gearing combo won't work well with the 190/55 (larger tire circumference)
It will feel a lot more long geared than OEM setting.
You will have to use a 15/40 or a 16/43 to make the bike usable in corners IMO :)

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Bare in mind that the 16/40 gearing combo won't work well with the 190/55 (larger tire circumference)
It will feel a lot more long geared than OEM setting.
You will have to use a 15/40 or a 16/43 to make the bike usable in corners IMO :)
That's a very good point. You must consider your sprocket size and your current chain length.
Below is a picture after I installed a brand new Dunlop Q2 on my (slightly shorter swingarm) SP1. I had 15/42 gearing. (I wish I knew how much that moved the axle forward or rearward, compared to 16/40.) I had the stock length (again SP1 specific) 104 link chain.
As you can see, I barely had enough clearance. Only 7mm. More as the tire wore down tho. Since I know I like the 190/55 and 15/42, and it was time to buy a new chain and sprocket set, I bought the same size. Except this time, I left my chain at 106 links to accommodate better clearance.
Michelin claims the diameter will increase up to 5mm when the tire is spinning at fast road speeds- another clearance consideration.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a very good point. You must consider your sprocket size and your current chain length.
Below is a picture after I installed a brand new Dunlop Q2 on my (slightly shorter swingarm) SP1. I had 15/42 gearing. (I wish I knew how much that moved the axle forward or rearward, compared to 16/40.) I had the stock length (again SP1 specific) 104 link chain.
As you can see, I barely had enough clearance. Only 7mm. More as the tire wore down tho. Since I know I like the 190/55 and 15/42, and it was time to buy a new chain and sprocket set, I bought the same size. Except this time, I left my chain at 106 links to accommodate better clearance.
Michelin claims the diameter will increase up to 5mm when the tire is spinning at fast road speeds- another clearance consideration.
Now you tell me! I just got a new chain and sprocket today LOL I'll stick to the 190/50 then and go Michelin pure powers :)

·
Old & Slow Admin
274 Posts
And they still have plenty of center tread probably?
The opposite of street tires where the centers are usually worn with tons of sidewall left.
The center tread is very close to "brand spankin new"! Considering I only use the rear tire for 1.5 race weekends (sat & sun practice, a GTU, 2 sprints and then practice the following race weekend), the sides are in quite good shape. The front only sees 2 full weekends and then is replaced so it's also in good shape.:D

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
We tried the new BT-S20's on my brother's 'Blade.....they are just awesome.
I still have the 016's which are still fairly new but I would definitely go for the S20's once I need to replace them :D

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
We tried the new BT-S20's on my brother's 'Blade.....they are just awesome.
I still have the 016's which are still fairly new but I would definitely go for the S20's once I need to replace them :D
016's are being cleared out which makes them affordable;)

S20s are on the choice list for the next set.:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts