RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today after bringing the bike back from getting state inspected, I was running it just to hear the v twin when i noticed some white looking smoke coming from the lowers. I took a closer look and It seams like where the Left mid fits right behind the kick stand, there seems to be some sticky residue which is causing the smoke when becoming hot. Any ideas? The residue is kind of tan/brown and very sticky.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
No liquid near that area.
The coolant overflow tank can spit some coolant out if it's overfilled or the cap is loose, but it usually leaves a film on the left frame area too.
Maybe you ran over something on the way home and it was just cooking off on the mid-pipe.
Is your bike an SP1? Try checking to see if your fuel tank isn't leaking near the rear pivot area.
It usually drips down and onto the rear head/exhaust pipe area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its SP1. Dont think I ran over something on the way home, cause I had it in the back of the truck haha. Not sure what the deal is. I feel like I always get my bikes back from dealers with something new/wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upon closer inspection, I did not see/feel any leaks, but I did notice alot of excess chain lube/wax on the chain guard right above where the sticky stuff on the exhaust pipe is. Could it possibly be cooking chain wax/lube? Also whats the best way to remove it? Is it ok to use WD40 on stainless steel or titanium exhausts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got all up in in tonight, turns out the previous owner attempted to take out the metalic peice on the inside of the slip on that gives it a good seal around the mid pipe. Some left overs were causing the smoke. I cleaned it and put it back on. No more smoke, but now i can feel exhaust escaping where the slip on fits the the mid. (this thread pertains to the L slip on if your sitting on the bike). Is it ok to ride like that, not sure what to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Make sure that the lower fairings isn't touching the pipe right there that could give off some smoke puffs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts