RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was chatting with Simon from ladybird tonight....He metioned that there are UK ECUs aplenty in japan...anyone know what the \UK version allows vs the US versionn? RPM limti adjustments? ignition timing adjustments? ANYBODY?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Probably none of the above. If anything it would be loaded with a different fuel table and may have had additional emissions equipment

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmmm..Simon stated that they were "unrestricted" ..he didn't elaborate further but I have asked him for clarification....maybe my bud's from the UK will chime in..MC1? peter? Dan?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Unrestricted may refer to the soft rev limiter and flapper solenoid

I don't believe that Unrestricted and programmable can be used interchangeably

·
Registered
142 Posts
Only difference I know of is the soft rev limiter.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
UK version does not have the Soft-Limiter that the USA Spec Region ECU has. There are other minor differences in the 3D Mapping for UK Emissions and fuel grade etc andif I recall correctly the flapper actuation was slighty different, but in the grand scheme of things they do not affect much in the way the bike runs although they do require different Powercommander maps to be optimal.

I tested all the different region ECU's many many years ago and the best one I found was the Australian version as far as outright performance goes with a stock ECU. It should be pointed out and emphasized that in the end with a properly made Powercommander map and all the little tricks applied like the "soft rev mod" all the different region ECU's and even the basic racer ECU end up performing the same as far as power numbers are concerned. Same can be said for the MOTEC system I custom built. There is no hidden horsepower in a naturally aspirated RC51 engine waiting to be unleashed past about 128rwhp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts