RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VTR1000SP2
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...it would appear that there is no way to disassemble the front rotor assemblies?

I don't see any way of getting these button assy's apart, and have been thru the workshop manual several times. Is this actually the case? These things are a fucking mess, and the bike in general was quite simply neglected for what appears to be it's entire life, but they are still true and there is over 5mm on both of them.

Seems a waste to not be able to get the rotors resurfaced, the buttons replaced, and the hub refinished. Someone please tell me that I'm wrong...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pretty sure they have to be drilled out like a rivet. You should just replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
2002 VTR1000SP2
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure they have to be drilled out like a rivet. You should just replace the whole thing.
Thank's Johnny... not the response I was hoping for, but it is pretty much what I thought. A shame... like I said, other than the corrosion and neglect, these things are in almost perfect shape functionally. If I could get them apart I could spend 1/10th of what a pair of new rotor assemblies will cost... :confused:

Oh well... if I have to go that route, I'll probably end up going to go with some Braketech Axis rotors as they are only fractionally more expensive than the SP-2 OEM units.

·
Premium Member
6,493 Posts
No repair. OEM rotors are unit replacement items. Hopefully you can find a straight set on eBay.
FYI If you felt a side to side vibration/wiggle in the bars while braking, you probably have out of true rotor.
Have had that happen with two bikes I've owned. Rotor replacement fixed both.
Also, if you install the slotted "wave" rotors, be sure and install one rotor with the slots out of phase with the the other (per instructions).
If not, that can cause a "pulsing" during braking.

·
Registered
2002 VTR1000SP2
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No repair. OEM rotors are unit replacement items. Hopefully you can find a straight set on eBay.
Like I said... a shame. Functionally, there is nothing wrong with these rotor assy's. 😕

As far as eBay is concerned, there are plenty of Chinese knock off's, but finding a good OEM set has proven to be somewhat problematic.

FYI If you felt a side to side vibration/wiggle in the bars while braking, you probably have out of true rotor.
Have had that happen with two bikes I've owned. Rotor replacement fixed both.
Also, if you install the slotted "wave" rotors, be sure and install one rotor with the slots out of phase withe the other (per instructions).
If not, that can cause a "pulsing" during braking.
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can remove the bobbins (grind the tail off) and replace them, you can buy bobbin sets to do this you just need to know the diameter you require.
Look at Gotham Cycles in the US or Blackshadow-UK for bobbin sets

·
Registered
2002 VTR1000SP2
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where is the "Like Very Much" button?

Seriously sir, thanks so much. I was actually spec'ing out a set of buttons from the Brembo rotors off of my R as the float engagement area is the same dia/thickness. It's good to know that other than grinding down the buttons themselves I won't have to do anything unholy to rebuild these.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Where is the "Like Very Much" button?

Seriously sir, thanks so much. I was actually spec'ing out a set of buttons from the Brembo rotors off of my R as the float engagement area is the same dia/thickness. It's good to know that other than grinding down the buttons themselves I won't have to do anything unholy to rebuild these.
Hey ProphetPVD,
I believe there is a thread in Ducati.ms where they talk about drilling out the bobbins and replacing with the replacement floating units. I’ll try and dig it up. In the meantime, if you want the center carriers refinished, I offer vapor blasting/cerakote.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Found the thread. It starts at post #43

1 - 10 of 10 Posts