RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there was a thread i was looking at on here which took place back in 2010 about this modification and people were discussing the advantages, then the thread went dead just as it was gettin interestin. there was also a guy saying that gettin hold of a 1200 rc51 engine was possible and said he had one. whats happened to all the exciting mods? dont wanna read about another airbox or raidial brakes mod:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
You Sir are about 10 years too late for some of the high end mods and have parts readily available....sorry

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Gates, The Wiseco are the pistons to go with for this bike. Pretty much every stage 2 built motor i've seen used the Wiseco JE Pistons.You just missed a sale in the UK on ebay of Wiseco Pistons, Stage 2 Mori cams, and the Mori Valvetrain to go with it. It is a cool route to do, but be ready its very expensive and your motor will demand a few other things to properly in sync. I can not speak from experience cause i've yet to do it, but from what i've read the motor life is going to be a lot shorter. And replacement parts are unobtainium....in fact you'll be lucky if you can find everything to begin with.
I've been peicing kit together for 2 years to build a second motor on the side, mostly for fun. But it's going to be a light bulb of a motor.
Heres some things to consider and prices for the everything if you can find it is going to be very high. Plan on spending 6-8k.....easy.

- Pistons , not exactly sure but i'd think a few hundred dollars.
-Stage 2 cams, like you said i believe Kent can make them, but not sure. Moriwaki, HRC cams are IMPOSSIBLE to find. i spent almost 1200 USD on my stage 1 cams.....about 4 times more then they sold for.
-To use stage 2 cams you have to have a stage 2 valvetrain.....another Unobtainium piece of kit. Again only Moriwaki and HRC made it and they are long gone. I have a set sitting on the shelf for my project motor. 24 Titanium Valve seats alone cost me 600 USD and i had to have a member on speedzilla put in a special order for and have them custom made. all in all plan on another 1000 USD for this.
-Full exhaust system, your going to need it for a built stage 2 motor. Again....good luck finding a full sytem. Akra made on but they cannot be found anymore. used ones pop up for 2500-3000 USD. I have a full Ethos design system....it cost me close to 2000 USD. The good thing is Simon is having LAdybird make an HRC replica....there will only be a few. I'm buying one for sure, but agin it will cost about 2000-3000 USD.
-You will want an airbox too and will need a powercommander or HRC ECU (more unobtainium with tuner box and harness) to get it all tuned and working right. Turnone box 300 USD, or Moriwaki 600 USD if you can find one. Powercommander 300 USD, if you can find an ECU, tuner box and Harness plan on paying around 1200 USD. I paid 500 for my harness and 300 for my ECU.

I've heard great things about

IF you are able to find all this stuff revolutionUK, and who knows maybe theyhave a kit or can have everything done for much less. Horde, has kits for the RC51 here in the US but motors need to be sent to them etc....and it really is not much of an option for a lot of guys who need a reliable bike. Im interested to se what the revolutionuk guys say, or if they still have stock of cams and pistons cause i will buy some if possible.
Also find out if the pistons require a new valvetrain and cams or if they are OEM replacement. If they are, find out for us what the advantage is or what gains can be expected.
if you have the money, then i say do it and post up the project, i'd very interested and think it would be an amazing build....i'd be super jealous too. Let us know what you find out, if you want more specifics or anything send me a PM or you can give me a call and i'll fill you in on what i know about it.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts