RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thrown in the towel, its like it isnt getting any fuel, even tried fresh fuel, still no joy. there is no FI light and the wierd part is that the fuel warning light occasionally flashes quicky when its cranking. gonna leave the MOT till march/april time when it comes out again for the good weather.

In the meantime, im gonna get all my nice bits put on: replacement bolts, full service, apex clip ons, new battery, repainted swingarm, customised seat, new choke and throttle cables and various bits of metal polishing.

And now............gonna add: new fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator to that list, cos one of them are probably the culprit for this problem.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
If you can't smell fuel in the exhaust after cranking for a while, then it's not getting fuel... You can also check by removing a spark plug and inspecting. If the plug's not wet with fuel, then that's the problem. A weak battery can also cause a bike not to be turning over fast enough to start.

You had some electrical problems before. Were you careful not to break any connections for the fueling system when working on your bike? If no fuel, I'd start by removing the side panels and rear cowl and check all the wiring's all well connected....

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Then search on Youtube for how to check for a spark & do this. If you have spark on both cylinders then it's not a spark issue.
You had some problems with the fuel enrichment lever before too, right? Is this working OK?

I think you need to be more clear yourself on what's wrong. Otherwise we're just shooting in the dark here...

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Seems like the same issue you were having a month ago, did you ever identify what caused this last time? Other than just revving it up to get it started?

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
....its like it isnt getting any fuel, even tried fresh fuel, still no joy.
And now............gonna add: new fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator to that list, cos one of them are probably the culprit for this problem.
fuel pump is priming, and i can smell fuel. spark plugs have both been replaced within the last year

So it's not fuel? It is fuel? A faulty regulator could cause no fuel I suppose but the bike ran till the last time you parked it, so that would seem strange.
You need to isolate where the fault is. Nobody can help without knowing what's causing lack of combustion.
It's either fuel or spark. Usually not both!

Easy way to check if it's fuel is to spray some engine starter ether into the intakes (Make sure it can't spit it back out at you - I've seen a guy catch fire when a carb backfired flames as he was pouring petrol into it... :eek:).

If the battery's well charged and it then tries to start, you know it's a fuel problem as it'll be evident then that the spark plugs are working. You ought to keep your tank attached when doing the fuel check. If nothing happens, check for a spark at each cylinder.

Then let us know what happened and we can go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like the same issue you were having a month ago, did you ever identify what caused this last time? Other than just revving it up to get it started?
Good question, ive been going over that myself. after the bike fired into life it rode like a dream and was fine.

Now its doing the same thing again, except even reving it wont help now. ive got plenty of time over winter now. so gonna keep at it. try some of Stigs advice and see what happens. either way im gonna change the FPR and the fuel filter for good measure as theyre probably due for a change now considering how bad the PO looked after it.

Gonna enjoy going over it in winter and also getting these modifiactions done too

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Good luck with the repairs and keep us posted. Could be possible that you and Coastrider are having similar problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts