RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I just bought a 02 rc51 and the mileage is 24k ,. I wanted to make sure my valves are good within spec , I've read alot that these motors are real reliable if u keep your maintenance up. Price wise , what's a general estimate on how much a reputable shop would charge me , I would do it myself but not the 1st time. I'd rather watch a mechanic an then I'm
Good in the situation interval , I'm in Los Angeles .Ca

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I have a mechanic that will do this for me @ $100. All I do is buy the new gasket if he cannot reuse the old one.:cool:

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Jon...if you can't do the service yourself then you are looking at approximately a 4/5 hour job if the cams have to come out and shims swapped out.

It's not an easy job but it's not rocket science...any good reputable shop should be able to help you out.

Just to clarify a few things the shop rate at the Yamaha dealer I used to work at is $125/hour.

Do the math and factor in shop supplies and maybe shims and gaskets.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
This has gotten funny.
This sub forum is HOW TO. As in how to do something specific on your bike. Tutorials and such, as stated above. If you want to talk about whatever, look for the right sub forum. there's like 20 of them. Just sayyyyy'n.. :p

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Jon, stop posting questions in the "how to" section. It is for tutorials. Read the "stickies" Your making the admins job frustrating.
I appreciate that....:D

@andrew , didnt kno , new to the forum life .. It didnt cum wit instructions ..
Actually it does, under each section, there is a brief description of what's to go there. Here's what it says under "How-To's":

Post tutorials for basic maintenance, modifications, aftermarket installations....etc.

This makes things easier for you to get a quicker answer if it's under the right section....

·
Registered
575 Posts
mine only has 19,000 and it starts up fast and smooth so no need yet to check ,, but one of my buddies has a 2000 with 55,000+ he had them checked at 50,000 and still in spec crazy i think ,,, but thats a honda

1 - 11 of 11 Posts