RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I almost bought one of those the year I bought my 700 Interceptor. They had one in the showroom that was a year or so old but never sold. Kicked myself ever since. Some of the early V4s were hard on the rear two cylinders because of insufficient oiling and heat. There are some mods you can do to solve it involving upping the oil supply to back two. I would really be tempted if I were on the left coast. Looks to be in really good shape considering the age.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I almost bought one of those the year I bought my 700 Interceptor. They had one in the showroom that was a year or so old but never sold. Kicked myself ever since. Some of the early V4s were hard on the rear two cylinders because of insufficient oiling and heat. There are some mods you can do to solve it involving upping the oil supply to back two. I would really be tempted if I were on the left coast. Looks to be in really good shape considering the age.
I had one and regret getting rid of it.
http://www.holeshot.com/
Has a top end oiling kit. It works great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
That CB1000F is pretty nice for sure, but again for anything other than collecting you could come out a lot better with current machinery. You can get a bulletproof 919 for less money and ride the living snot out of it from touring to commuting to even trackdays if need be for the rest of your life without a single problem. Old Honda's streetbikes are just problematic...

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear you LDH.
I'm not looking for reliability or commuting. I was just looking for a project, but not too much project. And something old and cool.
I think I'm over the VF1000R. I'm more inclined towards an 80's VFR 700 or 750.
btw, I'm a little confused: is it a 700 or a 750?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
That 919 in that ad looks great!

The VF existed in both 700 and 750 cc builds due to 1983 import tariff taxes on anything over 700cc's. This was brought about because Hardly-Ableson who once dominated Flat Track Racing was getting their asses kicked unequivocally by the Honda 750's so they whined like little bitches until the government did something about it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
They are giant heavy turds.

If you want one as a collectible go for it. If you want a daily driver or beater bike find something else or you will most likely regret your purchase for many years to come.
Debbie downer is at it again:(

·
Registered
148 Posts
btw, I'm a little confused: is it a 700 or a 750?
There were actually both. RC24 was the 750 If I remember right. The 700 came in those funky years when we were helping HD survive the Japanese imports. There was also the rc45 but save your pennies if you can find one. It won't be cheap.

Here is the 750 rc24

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
The VF models had a reputation for chocolate camshafts. I don't know of the differences between models and which were the worst for that problem though.
What did happen was that with the RC24 & RC36 models, the 750 engines (& probably the US 700's too) are bullet proof. No cam wear problems, gear driven cams too.
I'd choose a 750 over an older VF1000 given the choice.

Then again, Duckhunter - you already have a project on the go, so get that one completed first!! :D

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
J-dog, I own a 1984 VF500F (My first streetbike, and is the only reason for still owning the bike) A [email protected]@@@d to work on, parts are available on e-bay, etc. After F-3 frontend , and a fox clicker shock. It is coming around to be "A" bike.
I would consider something more reliable.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TNRC51- That's a great photo. too bad they didnt include the VF1000R that you can see in the background.
I'm liking the 86 VFR so far. I saw a couple of them for sale in the LA craigslist, looks like a project might be had for around 1500 -2000...

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Find a VFR400R....now those are cool little collector/project bikes. It's a baby RC30.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Find a VFR400R....now those are cool little collector/project bikes. It's a baby RC30.
I had two of those once. Purchased both of them from a guy in Canada one was supposed to be a "parts bike", but it actually ran and had all the parts so go figure... I flogged the shit out of them for a couple years on the street and then traded them for an Aprilia RS250 racebike with spares. Wish I had held onto them now....

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Yeah, Germany got a few. Trying to find one so i can bring it back to the states when i move back. There are some floating around for about 4-5k which is actually REALLY cheap for sportbikes here in Germany. New S1000RR go for 26k and used 998's go for 10-15k.

Mike you have any experience with the older VFR400 NC24's? There are bunch floating around in HRC red white and blue for about 2-3k. Not as pretty but i don't have a large bike budget right now.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yeah, Germany got a few. Trying to find one so i can bring it back to the states when i move back. There are some floating around for about 4-5k which is actually REALLY cheap for sportbikes here in Germany. New S1000RR go for 26k and used 998's go for 10-15k.

Mike you have any experience with the older VFR400 NC24's? There are bunch floating around in HRC red white and blue for about 2-3k. Not as pretty but i don't have a large bike budget right now.
I might have slightly misspoke there so just for clarification. The units I had were the VFR400 (NC30), not the RVF400 (NC35).

I have no experience with the NC24's

1 - 20 of 42 Posts