RC51 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, V-twins vibrate, but how much is too much? I have a 2003 RC51, Full Jardine exhaust, stock gearing, Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers in stock sizes. I find there is a lot of vibration between 5-7000 rpm, where I like to hang out at. The bike is also a little skittish when tires are cold, and some weaving when hard braking. The tires have 1/2 wear left, but on the front, the leading edge of the tread groove feels higher , almost like the tires are scalloped. On the rear, the leading edge of the tread is lower than the back edge of the tread.
1) Could it be the tires ??
2) Could it be tire balancing?
3) Could it be suspension settings (they are stock, I am 6'2", 240 lbs)
4) could it be engine bolts (how many bolts on each side, and what is the torque setting?)

Or is that engine range normal for vibration? Would the flapper fix help? Anything else that would help? (Steering damper?)

Thanks
DaveT

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
On the surface it sounds almost like inflation, balance, geometry, or rebound damping issues.
Hard to tell without pics and additional info.
These bikes do tingle a bit, but nothing overly objectionable.
Heck I don't even notice it most of the time.
I mean they're not electric motor smooth, but they're not Harleys by any means.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hmm, I'm 6'0 150 and I've not noticed a vibration issue in those ranges. When you say stock suspension settings do you mean they are all in the normal settings (i.e. not all the way soft or all the way hard)? Have you tried softening the suspension settings?

Unless it's bone jaring it's probably normal. If it makes you feel better (and it should) my 2009 Kawasaki 650R (p-twin) vibrated more at any RPM than the my '04 RC51-- no joke.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts