RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been searching around the forums for a method of dissecting or "reading" your VIN number. After reading a couple posts about being able to tell what production number your bike is as well as the actual production year and stuff like that, i was curious if anyone has seen a breakdown of all the numbers in a VIN?

does anyone know what the different numbers mean? or a place i can look if it already exists on this forum?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome, i knew it was out there somewhere.

so according to this i have #50 in 2006...sweet!

thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
^ Thanks for posting that SubSailor - will surely come in handy during my search!

·
Registered
527 Posts
VIN Validation.

Guys.
Information overload for me.
I knew I should've paid more attention in class.
Maybe some kind hearted fellow can interpret my numbers for me.
It also may be due to my fever, as I'm sick right now. Ha. The doc needs a doc !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
JH2SC45372M201102

JH2 = Made in Japan
SC453 (or SC45x) = RC51/RVT1000R/VRT1000 SP2
7 = VIN check digit
2 = 2002, year of manufacture (used to be alpha characters prior to 2000)
M = Hamamatsu plant in Japan where built
2 = 2002, Model year
01102 = Serial Number 1102

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Gents.
I am now a proud owner of a SP1. i have been through many forums but to no avail.
i have been onto all the sites that i could find only to find out that the vin number is un-valid??? please if someone could assist.
the vin number is: JH2SC45A1YM005227. Engine number: SC45E2007448.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
^ What exactly do you mean by "un-valid" or what do you wish to know? Care to elaborate?

Is that the VIN from the sticker on the side of the frame or is the VIN you posted the number etched on the steering neck?

Doublecheck you are reading the correct VIN (just to be sure).

What country do you reside in btw?

Clean/salvage title? Was the bike "pieced" together or ever rebuilt (ie - crashed/repaired "track only" bike perhaps)?

Did you refer to the way to interpret your VIN using SubSailor's example in post #9 above?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Sorry about that.
The vin is from the side of the frame. to my knowledge the bike is original the problem i have is when i go to sites to check the vin, i put the number in that is on the frame and it comes back unknown. i think the problem is the A after the SC45. JH2SC45A1YM005227. i have looked all over the web and cant get a reference to it.
Am i just having a blonde moment.
BTW i am from South Africa.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
^ Ah ok, well now we know what you are referring to then. :)

IMHO, it sounds like the problem is with those "other sites" that you are trying to run your VIN on. For a minute there, I thought perhaps you were doubting the authenticity of your SP1, because comparing your VIN to the chart checks out OK.

What websites were you trying to look up your VIN on, if you don't mind sharing?

Are they sites to determine if the VIN has ever been entered in as "stolen?" I'm familiar with using a site by the NICB ( https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck ) for checking VINs to see if a vehicle has a theft record (not always a 100% guarantee, but it's free and offers a little protection for prospective buyers when researching a vehicle prior to purchase).

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I agree Sean, the A is something I haven't seen before. That digit is supposed to designate what market that bike was destined for. I have a 4, which designates California US bike. I believe 3 is for the 49 State US bikes. No idea what the Euro bikes number is.
Another thing that is weird is the last 5 numbers. Yours indicates that the serial number is 05227, or the 5,227th bike built. Supposedly, only 5000 per year were made, and even then, no one knows for sure if indeed that many were ever made. My point is, I haven't ever seen a serial number that high.
I also was under the impression that any of the SP1's or SP2's in Africa were grey import bikes.?...

I just did a google search for motorcycle VIN checker sites, typed your number into three different sites and they all came back like you said, no validation found.
Get the number that's stamped on the neck of the frame.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
I see earlyrc51 has not been back recently, so he probably won't see this, but I don't think his second statement is entirely correct. I'd be keen to see something in writing from Honda stating their "VIN #'s are worldwide", but I suspect earlyrc51 has misinterpreted something he was told, because there have been numerous reports of duplicate Honda VIN serial numbers on other Internet fora ;) besides this one.

My own research (I own several Hondas) indicates that the key that earlyrc51 has missed is the significance of the 5-digit VDS section of the VIN (in this case, the "SC45" and the following character). Under the VIN system Honda apparently uses the fifth character of the VDS to indicate the market for which the bike was manufactured. Since the VIN system was introduced in the USA, for example, Honda has used "0" to indicate a 49-state bike and "1" to indicate a California-spec bike. Similarly, a Canadian model would have a "2", an Australian a "U", to name just a few. Accordingly, a Canadian-spec RC51 would have a VDS reading "SC452".

I should mention at this point that while Honda has historically used the 0, 1, 2 and U designations fairly consistently, they did start to change them around a bit when they started selling ABS-equipped bikes in the early '00s, so many US-spec models got 3s or 4s (like my ST1300A). And the letters used in Europe (A, B, C, D, etc.) haven't always indicated the same thing year after year, either. Anyway, the point is that the VDS indicates the market for the bike, so the serial number at the end of the VIN isn't used for that. That means that the serial number could either apply across the board to all bikes coming off the production line--regardless of market--or they could relate only to the production of a particular VDS-specific model.

The fact that multiple "#2"s have been reported here (and elsewhere, for different Hondas) suggests that the VIN serial number is indeed keyed to the VDS, and is not a universal serial. It also resets each Model Year, of course.

One other thing: The first number of the VIN serial appears to relate not to the Model Year, but to the "years in production" of a particular model. The fact that this number corresponds to the Model Year on the RC51 is solely due to the RC51 having begun production in 2000. Look at another Honda model (or many different ones, like I have) and you will see that the pattern is the same for other bikes whose production began in years other than 2000: first year of production serials begin with 0, second year's begin with 1, third year's begin with 2, etc. HTH.

(P.S. I don't own an RC51, but I do own a couple of RC51 front ends! I do hope to acquire an RC51, er, VTR1000SP-1, one day, but only in Joey Dunlop-esque red, black and yellow!)

Ciao,

JZH
Hong Kong SAR, PRC/So.Cal., USA
www.vsource.org
I think he was on to something ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks guys. Number on steering neck is the same.So the big question now is why is my vin is so high. Yep and wait for it the motor is signed. Now from what i have read on other forums is that only the first dozen or so were signed.
Talk about a mystery.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Thanks guys. Number on steering neck is the same.So the big question now is why is my vin is so high. Yep and wait for it the motor is signed. Now from what i have read on other forums is that only the first dozen or so were signed.
Talk about a mystery.
That's the same like mine. Red Euro model. Only a couple of hundred models newer than mine. 206 bikes later on the production line.

So it's like what? A week younger than mine? :D

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
That appears to be a Euro frame. US RC51's have a different tag. It's a sticker, not an actual plate, and it has different information.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts