RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what voltage reading they get at the battery terminals, when fan kicks in? Mine is reading 14.5 until fan kicks in. the n it reads 12.6? Normal?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I see where you're going Maki, OP might have a bad reg/rec or possibly stator.
Fan motor could also be failing drawing more than normal voltage.
Or wiring/connectors in poor shape...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's why I'm curious what anyone is actually reading, when there fans kick on. I have a battery tender voltmeter connected. Everything is reading within spec. 14 to 15 while bike is running. 12.9 with bike off. The only time voltage drops dramatically is when the fans kick in. Other than that, always 14.5 to 15.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine checks out in terms of voltage. He didn't show however, what his voltage reading was. .. if his fans kick in.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
NOT to be CONDESCENDING......
Yet to see that amount of voltage usage.... Supports the reasons for SPAL fans.
Less amps,(less work on the charging system), more air movement...
WIN, WIN :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No offense taken. I absolutely plan on doing the spal fan upgrade. I just wanted to rule out electrical, charging issues.. before moving forward. Also, i can't tell which spal fan would be better. I do alot of city riding, is pusher or puller better. ...if I'm stuck in traffic?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can anyone ppppppllllllleeeeaaasssee tell me what they're reading with fan on. That troubleshooting video does not cover that .

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NOT to be CONDESCENDING......
Yet to see that amount of voltage usage.... Supports the reasons for SPAL fans.
Less amps,(less work on the charging system), more air movement...
WIN, WIN :D
I order my dual spal pusher fans last night. Dropping off the bike next Monday to have em installed. Hopefully this helps. I cant rid the bike.. without constant fear of encountering traffic. Can you tell me what your voltage is.. when the spals kick in? Just would like to be able to have a baseline comparison.. for when mine gets installed. Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Well, I have never consider the details of current/amp draw. Yet looking at the information available.. OEM fans draw 20amp to start up. Reading the spal info. TWO SPAL fans start up with less of a draw than one OEM fan. and push more CFMs of air..

Also, IF you are dropping off the bike to a local shop, Consider doing the research of those of us members that have installed SPAL fans. Installation isn't direct bolt-on, an requires some "FaB" work....

·
Registered
382 Posts
What RPMs are you reading this voltage at? It is not uncommon for voltage to be at less than 14 when at idle and with a high draw. Cars and trucks do this too. If you have the bike at 2500 and the voltage drops like this, then I would be concerned.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What RPMs are you reading this voltage at? It is not uncommon for voltage to be at less than 14 when at idle and with a high draw. Cars and trucks do this too. If you have the bike at 2500 and the voltage drops like this, then I would be concerned.
Thats is a good question. I did not think of "rolling the throttle". That reading was taken at idle. I will try this again, wait till 220, fans kick in.. roll throttle to 2500 rpms and see if the voltage at battery increases. Thank you. Ill try tomorrow and post update.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
This is the MOST logical man in the room......:D
NO,NO,NO charging system work at IDLE... ON any MOTORCYCLE, CAR,TRUCK, etc..... all systems work/begin charging above 1500rpms... and being that there is No motorcycle (F'N tractors(HD)) that stay at a constant RPMs for miles,miles ..
The voltage regulator reading SHOULD be flitting around 12.7 to 14.4 like a prostitutes ass ON the Blvd....
ANY RPMs below 1500RPMs or IDLE.. would be drawing off the 12.something battery...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I have never consider the details of current/amp draw. Yet looking at the information available.. OEM fans draw 20amp to start up. Reading the spal info. TWO SPAL fans start up with less of a draw than one OEM fan. and push more CFMs of air..

Also, IF you are dropping off the bike to a local shop, Consider doing the research of those of us members that have installed SPAL fans. Installation isn't direct bolt-on, an requires some "FaB" work....
Never hear of SPAL fans. What are they?

I'm running just the left fan on my SP2; I just flat out removed the right one. It actually cools much better, even at lower speeds. As long as I'm doing about 30MPH, it'll cool. I left one fan in just in case I do get stuck in traffic or at a light, but that's a rarity.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Never hear of SPAL fans. What are they?

I'm running just the left fan on my SP2; I just flat out removed the right one. It actually cools much better, even at lower speeds. As long as I'm doing about 30MPH, it'll cool. I left one fan in just in case I do get stuck in traffic or at a light, but that's a rarity.
UUUhh.. I would enjoy riding the roads , you ride (with NO traffic, cages to avoid).. And yes, the removal of one fan -has been discussed on the forum more than once... Do a search (HERE, or Google).. SPAL fans are being used as OEM components on Aprilia, new Ducati, Mercedes, etc.
:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts