RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been going to track days all summer (been to 7 total) and have been renting a Vanson suit from the club each time. I'm looking to get my own now and just wanted to see what others were using, or recommendations on what to look for.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's me. I just about messed up those pipes along with me and the rest of the bike in turn 5 the right hand up hill turn. I was a little to heavy handed and spun the back wheel out and chopped the throttle. The bike stood up and shook hard trying to high side me in the worst way. I'm starting to think I got good enough this summer that I'm not good enough to be riding a RC on the track. A sv650 is starting to become a realistic thought.
As for your leathers I too would go with Spartan for my first choice you get to choose level of armor color and custom fit for the same price as off the shelf. I didn't get them because they couldn't make a six week delivery time but you have all winter.
I went with alpinestars from riders discount they had them advertised on this website for $100 less than eBay.
You could take a trip down to Columbus and goto the iron pony. It's the greatest store on the planet. It's like a Walmart with nothing but motorcycle stuff you can try on helmets leathers gloves boots for hours.
If you have money to burn goto northern ducati and try on some revit's those are some nice leathers.
Are you going to goto nelson in October or do you still have prior commitments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely don't have money to burn, I've seen the RevIt stuff there and it's really nice, but talking with Todd he wasn't very keen on their stuff from a durability standpoint. I actually bid on a Vanson suit on Ebay this morning, it's a 42 just like the one I've been renting all season and if I can pick it up for under 500 I'm satisfied. Otherwise I will look into Spartan Leather this winter.

I've been thinking about going the SV route for the track also, the 900 is great, but it's such a monster I'm going to get myself in trouble with it soon and it's so great for street riding I don't want to mess it up. I also have no business being on my RC on the track either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you going to goto nelson in October or do you still have prior commitments
I plan on it, I would like to run the open group Friday night and Saturday, hopefully with all my own gear this time! I'm going to contact Todd for a back protector.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ridersdiscount just posted up the alpinestars mx1 for 699 free shipping and no sales tax unless you want to declare it. I ordered mine from here they were very helpful and you can return them for another size if you needed to. My leathers arrived 2 days after I ordered them and came with a back protector

·
Registered
138 Posts
That price is $100 off of their own web price. You have to call them and mention you saw them advertised on this forum. At that price and the fact that they come with a back protector is worth the $100 more you spent over the used vanson. Plus its worth it knowing your not riding around in someone else's sweaty funk. After that July sweat fest I wasn't sure I wanted to put my own leathers back on let alone someone else's

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
What do you think about the Alpinestars Carver 1 piece suit? I've tried 2 their suits on before, bother were very nice but $$$$$$$.
If you can stand the fit of an off the rack suit, just about any Apline*s gear will do for the occasional track day. You can always add armour...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plus its worth it knowing your not riding around in someone else's sweaty funk. After that July sweat fest I wasn't sure I wanted to put my own leathers back on let alone someone else's
This is very true. I have a friend who does upholstry cleaning for the Land Rovers, he does a nice job on the leather and said he can make a racing suit like new again. We'll see.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
outbid on the Vanson, I'm calling tomorrow on the Alpinestars MX1 suit. ALl they have left is size 40, but from reading the size charts everywhere, a 5'9" 145lb guy should fit a 40 no problem?

·
Registered
138 Posts
If they don't fit you can always return them or exchange them I'm sure they will work with you and get you in something. Then you'll be all set for the next track day. I'm just hoping for good weather.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got my suit today, it is definitely tighter than the loaner vanson, but I believe it fits more like a racing suit should. I also slipped while going up the stairs at home, and didn't feel a thing. Highly recommended for clumsy stair climbers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've already paid for the day, no refunds for a no-show so I might as well at least go. Maybe it will get slightly better towards the afternoon. This is exactly the same weather as May. I can't believe the 2 absolute WORST days of the entire riding season have to fall on trackdays.

·
Registered
138 Posts
How did your new leathers do in the cold rain ? We just cut our losses and didn't show up. Losing the entry fee was better than dealing with a day like that

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love the new suit, very comfortable, enough room to fit thermals under so it kept me warm during the day even during the rain. I'm just hoping that they won't be too hot next summer. Otherwise it wasn't a completely miserable day even though the weather was about as bad as it can get before they cancel the day. I did get lots of wet track experience, and now know what it's like to spin up the rear. I chickened out early on a few sessions, the sideways slipping just messes with my head. I have no idea how much slipping you should expect, maybe I was being a grandma about the whole thing, but I did get back in the trailer at the end of the day without any mishaps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts