RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been tearing down and rebuilding an RC I bought about a month ago now and in conjunction to my Left radiator pissing coolant absolutely everywhere. I noticed that their is coolant leaking on the right side crank case cover, from what appears to be the bottom of the water pump cover. Everything I read said that the mechanical seal on the waterpump had failed. I ordered those parts, only to learn that it has to be pressed in to spec. so I'm trying to find a shop who has the tools to do so.

While I was disassembling the right cover, I took off the water pump cover, only to see that the seal was crusty and hard and had what looked like solidified coolant on it. I took the gasket out and noticed that there was a pretty significant amount of shit crusted in there and it looked like the metal had started to erode. Could this be my problem and not my water pump shitting the bed ? Photos below. Anyone had this problem/situation ?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Was there coolant coming out of the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump?

Either way, you are this far, you may as well get it changed and be doen anyway. Make sure you change the bearing out too.

:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant find a picture of the weep hole on the RC. But this is where it appeared to be leaking from. Circled in red.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The weep hole for the mechanical seal leads to a cast-in fitting on the side cover (not the water pump housing). There's an elbow with a nipple on it that connects to a drain hose. That looks like it's just a bad gasket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a feeling that was the weep hole. No liquid
Coming from that, that I can see. I'm going to scrape out all the schmeg and reassemble with a new seal and check for leaks.

Honda dealer wanted 90 dollars to press in the bearing... I'd feel better not giving them any money..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts