RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive gone through the how to's but cant find anything on this subject. i might have to do this job soon if what im trying at the moment doesnt work, so thought id start gathering info early on this if i need to do it.

is it a big/difficult job? does the pump run off a chain? would i have to drain and replace all my coolant? (for the millionth time)

ect

cheeers

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive ready it already, it tells you how to remove the waterpump cover and check for leaks then re-seal it.

was just wondering if anybody has has to remove the pump altogether and if its a big job, but im startin to guess that it is lol

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
The water pump assembly is in the right crankcase cover and is gear driven (the only chain in this engine is the one that drives the oil pump).
http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2512355&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2001&fveh=132162

The coolant will need to be drained into a container for reuse, and the right crankcase cover will need to be removed into order to press out the impeller shaft, mechanical seal, oil seal, and bearing.

Then new bearing, oil seal, and mechanical seal will be pressed in. Then all is reassembled with requisite gaskets for the covers.

In the UK service manual, the procedure starts on P. 6-11.
The right crankcase cover removal can be done yourself if you desire, but unless you have the press and other tools to complete the job, it may be best to order the parts and have a reputable shop perform the removal and installation of the seals and bearing.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts