RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody using Galfers (or Braking) Wave Rotors? Thinking about switching for weight savings and better stopping. Who's got the best prices? Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
I have Galfer waves all around.
I had originally ordered BrakeTech Cobra rotors, but they had manufacturing problems at the time, so I dropped back and substituted the Galfers instead.

About the only issue you may notice is when braking, just before you come to a halt, you might feel a little judder. Probably from the pads traveling over the open slots.

That was what I felt on my Hayabusa and it's the same on the RC51.
At speed, you don't feel it. That was the main reason I was going to try the Cobra rotors.
Galfer has the new Superbike wave rotors with a different design and is supposedly lighter.
But they are about $200 over the regular Galfer wave rotor price, I wasn't ready spend almost $1000 on two rotors.
Now I've been trying different pads to find which is best.
Currently I'm using EBC HH sintered, however I've heard SBS are good as well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the two cents. I can't help agree with you on the SB Wave rotors. Dropping almost $1G for two rotors, for me, is not a wise investment. Since my last name isn't Rockefeller I'd rather put that money into regular Waves and save the difference toward magnesium wheels...

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Might I suggest that instead of magnesium, take a look at the new Carrozzeria Tri-R wheels.

According to their web site, the Tri-R forged AL wheels are about as light as magnesium.
For a 3.5" front wheel, the weight is 6.1 Lbs.
And for a 6" rear wheel, the weight is 8.2 Lbs.
Both for about $1900-ish bucks.
A heck of a lot cheaper than magnesium.

However OnCycles.com has a set of Dymag 5-spoke cast magnesium wheels for $1407 with free shipping.
Unfortunately the Dymag 5-spoke carbons are gone. They were going for about $2800.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw those Dymag you're referring to. VERY tempting. I noticed that they were listed as fitting SP1's only, not all years. Probably splitting hairs, but I have an '03 SP2. Not sure if they'll work, I haven't followed up yet. I'm keeping an eye on Durrani Magnesium wheels. They look like they'd be worth pursuing when they finally start production. Interesting manufacturing technique.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
They should fit an SP1 or SP2.
I didn't know if you were into cast mags. Forged mags are lighter but expensive!!
However those Carrozzeria Tri-R forged AL seem pretty nice and light.

Funny you should mention Durrani Racing.
I've got a pair of their adjustable magnesium clip-ons to install on the RC51.
I was hoping they would have their magnesium adjustable rear-sets for the RC51 in out by now, but apparently not.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
The last time I talked with them, they were hoping for TUV and other foreign certifications to completed by end of October, and start selling wheels by November. Obviously that didn't happen.

I too have been hoping they will start selling wheels real soon.
The total wheel redesign pushed the price to $1298 per set, which is still a steal for forged magnesium wheels (or any wheels for that matter).

The wheels are all magnesium (including center hub) rather than the earlier design which used an AL hub.
Instead of a rolled and welded wheel ring, now it's forged and welded to the thixomolded inner section. Then the specific hub is welded into place.

The cush drive is designed for the life of the bike, which is great as I have to replace my Marchesini cush dampers 2 or 3 times a year. Otherwise, they start to get some slop in the drive.

And Durrani's wheels use Suzuki sprockets as opposed to having to buy specialty sprockets from Vortex, Driven, or Renthal for the Marchesini's.

I contacted their engineering head several months ago about having them fabricate several major (and heavy) components for the RC51 and they seemed really enthused.
I was aiming for front caliper brackets, upper & lower steering stem, and rear-sets for starters.
I guess I'll contact them again next year to see if they're still interested.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep me informed as to the progress. As much as I like the Durrani's the AL Carrozzerria's seem like a great alternative. However (and I'm debating with myself now), for approx. $500.00 less, the Durrani wheels are a tough act to follow. Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Decided to go with Alth rotors. Will let everybody know what I think when I get them mounted...
Weigh your stock rotors and do a comparison with the Alth to see what the weight savings are. Would be interesting.

I didn't do that with the Galfers and really miss the weight data.
Are the Alth stainless or ductile iron?

For an awesomely beautiful brake setup, take a look at PFM's Full-Race setup.
That setup with rotors and calipers costs almost $3000.
But when I look at them, I go...DAMN.

http://www.pfmbrakes.com/products.php

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have Galfer waves all around.
I had originally ordered BrakeTech Cobra rotors, but they had manufacturing problems at the time, so I dropped back and substituted the Galfers instead.

About the only issue you may notice is when braking, just before you come to a halt, you might feel a little judder. Probably from the pads traveling over the open slots.

That was what I felt on my Hayabusa and it's the same on the RC51.
At speed, you don't feel it. That was the main reason I was going to try the Cobra rotors.
Galfer has the new Superbike wave rotors with a different design and is supposedly lighter.
But they are about $200 over the regular Galfer wave rotor price, I wasn't ready spend almost $1000 on two rotors.
Now I've been trying different pads to find which is best.
Currently I'm using EBC HH sintered, however I've heard SBS are good as well.
" A little Judder".....you discs are probably "in sync'....make sure the holes/patterns/shapes of said discs are NOT in sync , unbolt and rotate one disc , one bolt step.....

Rebalancing ?..optional ....

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
That's one good reason.
When the opportunity presents itself again I'll compare the rotor spacing.

As a side note, they do it mainly when cold.
After a couple of stops, the pads and rotors warm up to operating temperature it generally goes away.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
If I recall, if you compare Galfer's Superbike wave rotor vs. their standard wave rotor, you'll notice the slots are offset to each other on each side of the rotor, and they tend to be small slots.
I'm guessing their testing gathered the same results.

I was going for their Superbike rotors, but they were $200 over the regular price.
And that was really pushing a $1000 bill.
Nice, but not that nice for my wallet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you were to race you would feel some sort of 'harmonic" of the same vibration you felt at lower speed...although it is not dangerous ; it makes it harder on feedback ....

P.S. Our little race team uses the STD Galfer/Braking discs with great results...

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
If you were to race you would feel some sort of 'harmonic" of the same vibration you felt at lower speed...although it is not dangerous ; it makes it harder on feedback ....

P.S. Our little race team uses the STD Galfer/Braking discs with great results...
Agreed. If you apply enough brake force to the pads, you would probably feel them rocking in and out of the slots minutely enough to disturb the braking force across the disc surface, along with the same for the other side.
And together would set up a harmonic at certain speeds.

That was the primary reason I was initially purchasing the Braking Cobra discs.
While they had a petal design, they had drilled holes vs. slots.
Also the way the carrier transmits braking force directly to the wheel and not through the buttons is a nice touch as well.
One of the guys I know who races Ducatis has a set and loves them.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Keep me informed as to the progress. As much as I like the Durrani's the AL Carrozzerria's seem like a great alternative. However (and I'm debating with myself now), for approx. $500.00 less, the Durrani wheels are a tough act to follow. Thanks again...
Paisano
I talked with Duranni and they are now shipping their magnesium wheels.
They are currently fulfilling their prior orders, but are now in production.
The price of the wheels has gone up to about $1600-1700, that's still cheap for magnesium.
And they are only DOT and JWL certified. TUV is pretty tough.

I mainly was inquiring on their magnesium rearsets, and they only have a limited range (no RC51).
They are concentrating on wheel production currently, and may continue pursuing rearsets when the time is right.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I couldn't wait for Duranni. I just ordered the new Carrozzeria Tri-R forged aluminum race wheels. The Specs rivaled magnesium (6.1lbs. front, 8.5lbs. rear, bare weight). The local Honda dealer I got my RC51 from just became a dealer. He ordered the two set, new dealer minimum order, for myself and another mutual friend who also does trackdays. I'm hesitant to put this in print, but he sold them to us on a "cost, plus" basis. More as a favor to two friends than a typical retail sale. To paraphrase what they say in the movies, he "made us an offer we couldn't refuse."

·
Banned
402 Posts
the OEM rc51 has some of the best brakes on a bike and really a pad change(not needed) and new lines will do wonders to a awesome set up to boot.

i bought wave rotors in 2001 and have been happy but the reason was for lighter weight they offered only and spending more then that on the RC51 front brakes is silly IMO

i also have a radial mount brake conversion and i have tried 2 types of radial caliper and the OEMs are better even though the radial allows for a larger OD rotor so more stregth possibly if wanted

·
Banned
402 Posts
bump for carrozzeria too

i had their first 2004 CBR1000rr wheels and loved them and now have a set for my R1 and they made me custom RC30 wheels too, mark and matsu rule

1 - 20 of 33 Posts