RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my '02 RC51 has just over 29,500 miles and I have noticed something weird. Once fully warmed and at idle, when I pull the clutch in there seems to be a bit less vibration coming from the bike. It's not a huge difference, but noticeable compared to idling with the clutch out. I did just change spark plugs, did the PAIR block off mod and changed oil within the past 300 miles. It has been doing this for a little bit, but I really just noticed it now. The bike runs perfect otherwise. The bike has the original clutch and shows no sign of slippage.

I had an '03 SV1000S that did this some too and it was an issue with the clutch basket. Could this be a similar issue with the Honda?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey all, my '02 RC51 has just over 29,500 miles and I have noticed something weird. Once fully warmed and at idle, when I pull the clutch in there seems to be a bit less vibration coming from the bike. It's not a huge difference, but noticeable compared to idling with the clutch out. I did just change spark plugs, did the PAIR block off mod and changed oil within the past 300 miles. It has been doing this for a little bit, but I really just noticed it now. The bike runs perfect otherwise. The bike has the original clutch and shows no sign of slippage.

I had an '03 SV1000S that did this some too and it was an issue with the clutch basket. Could this be a similar issue with the Honda?
Im no tech but, id assume if your still running on the original clutch @30k it would be a good idea to open her up and at least look. If you consider the characteristics of the wet clutch(or any clutch for that matter) when you disengage the clutch(pull in the lever) you effectively stop the mass of the clutch from rotating @ engine rpm. I would imagine if your feeling a vibration it is most likely the clutch basket but could be a fractured plate or even a broken spring? Its worth looking at least:)
Edit: Meant to say the mass of the trans as opposed to the clutch itself but, you get the idea

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
You might want to pull your discs and plates. Check them for blueing, heat checking, warpage. The Service Manual gives you the service limits for the discs, and I think also for the steel plates. You probably already know, but be sure to keep them in their original order when disassembling and reassembling. I just did my clutch recently, and was surprised how easy it was.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll crack her open soon then. Of all the bikes I've owned and over 6-digits of miles I've racked up, I have never had to take a clutch out before. I like trackdays and street riding, but I try to take it easy on my bikes (and I suck at wheelies).

I've got the Honda PDF, but any advice for the 1st time clutch job? Any special tools to pull the plates or reinstall them? I just changed the oil (M1 10w40 4t) so I'll just reuse it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts