RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 SP1

Two up in the back, one down up front....:p on AFAM steel sprockets, new with the chain maybe 8000km ago.

the last few thousand kms, I started noticing odd chain/drive train brushing noises, so I tightened the chain a little. Took the bike for a ride and noticed the chain was tight as hell, so I backed it off again to the proper tension which I thought I had in the first place.

I use my side stand so I may not be adjusting the chain in the best way, but I know a lot of people who do it this way.... anyway, I've noticed that the tight and loose spots in the chain are significant! I roll the bike in neutral and find the loosest spot in the chain, but rolling past that spot, the chain gets super tight. I'm only rolling forward with no weight on the seat.

I'm thinking there is a flaw in the chain, because I'm pretty damn sure I didn't skip a tooth.:eek:...

I'm also sure that this chain issue caused the plastic chain slider that attaches to the swing arm to wear funny and partially break off. I have a new one on order.

Sorry about the long windedness ... any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
If this was occurring right after the install, I'd think defective chain, or defective sprocket(s) where they were ground off center.
If this has only recently occurred, then I'd lean towards worn chain (and sprockets).

Either way, the current chain and possibly sprockets as well are shot.
Usually you don't see loose and tight spots until the chain bushings start wearing.

And 8000 Km (5000 miles) is a pretty short distance for a chain, if kept clean, lubed, and adjusted.

I would expect 28000 to 40000 Km for a good quality chain and sprocket set.
I put 38000 Km on my FZ1's OEM chain and sprockets before replacement.

The chain slider broke probably due to the tight and loose spots in the chain, causing the chain to smack the slider, ultimately breaking it (better it than damaging the swingarm though).

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
When you roll your bike forward, do you see any kinks in the links? Like bindage?
Any way you can get your bike on a rearstand and rotate the rear wheel by hand to inspect the chain?

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
The VFR I recently picked up was doing the same thing. I noticed that when the rear sprocket was at a certain spot in the rotation the chain always got tight. Used a small piece of tape to mark the sprocket so I could see where this was happening. Could have been the rear sprocket was slightly off center by a mm or so??

Didn't want to take any chances so I changed out both sprockets and a new chain. Problem solved.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you roll your bike forward, do you see any kinks in the links? Like bindage?
Any way you can get your bike on a rearstand and rotate the rear wheel by hand to inspect the chain?
I don't have any binding or kinks. I keep the chain pretty well lubed. When I prop the bike up on the side stand so the back wheel is off the ground, then turn the tire, the chain looks pretty good with regards to be in-line and moving freely.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
When i had my fj 1100 the tsubaki chain was strong but I would wheelie the thing and even though the chains were new they would stretch UN-evenly

If you kill the engine and roll down hill in neutral you can hear a wrecked chain :(

But fun costs $$$

·
Registered
226 Posts
Take the chain off the rear sprocket and pull the chains towards the rear of the bike at dead centre of rear and place evenly back onto rear sprocket. I noticed this problem when I first installed my 520 15/41 last month and ran into the same problem. I just evened out the chain on the rear and I was good. You can have more links on the top than the bottom so one side will seem tighter than the other.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take the chain off the rear sprocket and pull the chains towards the rear of the bike at dead centre of rear and place evenly back onto rear sprocket. I noticed this problem when I first installed my 520 15/41 last month and ran into the same problem. I just evened out the chain on the rear and I was good. You can have more links on the top than the bottom so one side will seem tighter than the other.

Hope this helps
Doing this in about 20 minutes... I will let you know if it helps. Thanks for the replies all!:D

·
Registered
729 Posts

Hope this helps
Run that by me again:confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried that suggestion and put a few more links on the top, then tightened everything back up. That made it a little worse, so then I put the chain back on the rear sprocket where it was seated before I started (marked with wax pen), and then moved a few links to the bottom..... that seemed to help a little actually, but the issue still exists. I think it is the chain itself..... it was a cheapo from D2 Moto.

Not sure what else I can do aside from sprockets and chain again..... :(

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Remember, it's the chain that wears out the sprockets.
When the roller bushings in the chain wear (evenly or unevenly), the precise distance between the roller centers begins to lengthen.
The roller then no longer exactly follow the sprocket tooth curvature nor sit precisely into the trough between the teeth.
What they begin to do is sit on the shoulder of the sprocket tooth or no longer follow the tooth profile.
That's when the sprocket wear begins. Ultimately causing the infamous "hook" pattern of a badly worn sprocket, or in your case with uneven chain wear, the loose and tight action of the chain.
Essentially, your chain is worn in one area more than the other.
And also unfortunately, it has probably worn the sprockets as well to some degree.
There are some areas of a bike that you can't scrimp on. And a chain is one.
Sorry about that.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I tried that suggestion and put a few more links on the top, then tightened everything back up. That made it a little worse, so then I put the chain back on the rear sprocket where it was seated before I started (marked with wax pen), and then moved a few links to the bottom..... that seemed to help a little actually, but the issue still exists. I think it is the chain itself..... it was a cheapo from D2 Moto.

Not sure what else I can do aside fromAFAM sprockets and DID erv X ring chain this time and have zero issues and super long chain life ;)..... :(
fixed it seriously:rolleyes: it pays you back with longevity...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, going to have to do that.... the crappy deal is I have afam steel sprockets and they aren't worn at all really.... shame to have to replace them again so soon :(

·
Registered
162 Posts
yeah, going to have to do that.... the crappy deal is I have afam steel sprockets and they aren't worn at all really.... shame to have to replace them again so soon :(
Get yourself a auto chain oiler if you don't have one, will save you eating C+S every 8000km if your missing maintenance on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts