RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The orginal owner of my `02 RC 51 decided to file clearance on the aluminum swingarm to clear the Jardine muffler on the right side. I have an experienced welder that will build-up the area in question. Anyone with suggestions,or do's and don'ts before I have the repair made?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Pictures......it would be helpful if you posted a picture. It depends exactly where you are planning to weld. I personally would have no issues welding just about any part of the swing arm. These things are built like brick shit houses and they won't just snap....if anything, aluminium cracks gradually and you would see this if you inspect the welded area before riding and catch this before any catastrophic happens. I inspect my bike all of the time, so nothing special to me.;)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Pictures......it would be helpful if you posted a picture. It depends exactly where you are planning to weld. I personally would have no issues welding just about any part of the swing arm. These things are built like brick shit houses and they won't just snap....if anything, aluminium cracks gradually and you would see this if you inspect the welded area before riding and catch this before any catastrophic happens. I inspect my bike all of the time, so nothing special to me.;)

I agree with allchaos welding and finishing will cost the same.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The muffler should clear the arm without that mark, make sure the midpipe or muffler bracket/passenger peg isn't bent before swapping swingarms.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
How much is a welder going to charge you? I've seen recoated swingarms a being sold here for around $250? You can probably still sell that one for around $100 to somebody with an sp1 or super hawk.

Regardless, I would be willing to bet money, the guy didn't file that down. The exhaust rubbing on it caused that, and will again on whatever you replace or repair it with. Make sure you fix the cause of your gouged swingarm before you fix your swingarm.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My local used parts guy lists swing arms for $75 to $250 ... usually the single sided Ducati and VFR arms are the only ones that cost more than $150.

·
Registered
17 Posts
as the other fellas said take care of the rubbing issue first. when you do get it welded, make sure the guy keeps the part as cool as possible and doesnt just pile on a huge crazy hot bead all at once. those swingarms are solid, however after-factory welding will still cause stress areas from the quick heating and cooling, the more heat/ more time an area is exposed, the farther the residual stress will go. id say depending on how deep the wear is, you might be better off not touching it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A Valid Point,Torque Monster

I agree with what you have stated. Another concern is welding the area in question could alter the heat treat properties in the swingarm. After the various pieces of the swingarm are welded togehter was their a heat treat process to normalize the entire assembly for strength? Welding after the fact could weaken the swingarm. Bottom line:leave well enough alone,no welding.
I did not realize the the swingarm is solid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with what you have stated. Another concern is welding the area in question could alter the heat treat properties in the swingarm. After the various pieces of the swingarm are welded togehter was their a heat treat process to normalize the entire assembly for strength? Welding after the fact could weaken the swingarm. Bottom line:leave well enough alone,no welding.
I did not realize the the swingarm is solid.
true :)
i didnt mean solid throughout, its hollow square tubes, but theyre anywhere from 1/16 to 1/8 wall thick. sp2 swingarms are also hydroformed, insanely strong parts.

just put paint on it so its not such an eye sore. major components are built with a safety factor of 2 or 3, meaning theyre 2 or 3 times more resistant to stress and fatigue than they need to be.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Both my RC's had wear from exhaust rubbing and crash damage. A black magic marker fixes the blemishes right up.

I definitely agree with not sticking more metal on due to heat stress. You could always fill it in with some JB weld. Kinda like bondo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts